Is the cat I adopted feral?

bubblegum2009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been reading many of the posts on this site, and I'm amazed by the sense of community! Bravo to all you caring, patient, loving feline lovers. I am in desperate need of some advice. I grew up having cats and waited until my adult life settled down a bit before making the long-term commitment of getting my first forever friend. I adopted a two year old cat named Cashew from the humane society 15 days ago. In the shelter Cashew was a very calm cat, but seemed to enjoy being pet (would lean into it and nuzzle my hand) and would play a bit when prompted with toys (not extremely energetic, but engaged and not fearful) and he ate just fine while I was with him in the cat room. Before we adopted him they let us know he came from a hoarding situation of 20 cats and made some comments about "being amazed at his progress," but didn't seem to have any concerns that he wouldn't adjust to a new home, and since he liked being pet and played with, it didn't even cross my mind that he might be semi-feral if he was in a hoarding situation. 

Well, it's been two weeks now and he has only come out from under the couch once while I was in the room. When we got him home he bolted under the living room couch, and he only comes out to eat/drink/use the litter box at night. Our apartment is small and I do not have a spare, unused room that would be suitable as a bonding room. Our bedroom has too many nooks and crannies that he could get seriously stuck in, and my boyfriend who I live with didn't agree with using the bathroom as a safe room since we shower/go to the bathroom in there, so we let him out in the living room that also connects to the kitchen and entrance hallway. I've been reading up on every possible way to help a cat adjust to a new home and have been diligently following the advice -- sitting on the floor, reading to him, playing soft music, making sure he knows I am the one who is feeding him by making a production out of it, put his food bowls on top of a shirt that has my smell so that he associates me with food, getting a Feliway diffuser, etc. So much of what I read says it may take up to a week for a cat to come out of hiding, but now that its been over two weeks I'm starting to get seriously concerned. When we brought Cashew home he did not make a peep the entire hour-long car ride, and has not made a sound since (except for his collar that I can sometimes hear jingling while I am in the room at night). My boyfriend picked him up once to move him the first day (his original hiding spot was right next to our apartment door), and he did not put up any sort of fight. My boyfriend set him in the litter box to show him where it was and he ran from there straight under the couch. I try not to peak under there, but have unintentionally made eye contact a few times.

He did come out of hiding once while I was in the room, but it's now been over a week since that happened. I was lying on the floor with my back to him reading, and he scampered out and ate a bit. I was careful not to move a muscle or acknowledge that he was in the room. He then scampered into the kitchen which was in my eyeline for a few seconds before returning back under the couch. I am not even sure if he knew I was in the room when he came out. I should also note that as far as adjusting goes, I now realize how loud and scary my apartment must be. The floors creak when you walk, as do the doors, you can hear others in the hallway or above us (no one is particularly loud, you just hear that they're there) and the is sometimes construction noises during the day (we live in a Boston neighborhood that's undergoing a lot of new construction/renovations). We try to be as quiet and calm in the apartment as possible and haven't been watching tv, but since it's small there's really no way for us to keep him from the loud cooking, shower noises, etc. 

So, please give me advice. Do Cashew sound like a feral cat or is still within the normal hiding timeframe? I know the lines can be blurred between what's feral and what's not (to my knowledge he's lived indoors his entire life, but I have read that some hoarder cats can be feral if they had no human attention), and realize at this point that it's going to be a much longer and slower adjustment period than I anticipated, but I'm just really confused since he seemed like a friendly cat in the shelter. Any advice or insight is extremely appreciated -- I'm trying to be patient and not worry but I broke down crying today and just feel very disheartened. I am committed to Cashew no matter what, and accept that he may never be a lap cat, but want some more opinion on what I am dealing with. I am trying to follow up with the shelter to get some more info on exactly how long it took him to adjust there, but they are not staffed at regular times (all volunteer), so it's been hard to get in touch.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies!

-Erin

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am quite confident that he is simply considered low socially. This means that while he is a tame cat, he has interacted more with cats than people.

This type is so typical of hoarders.

He must have spent some time at the shelter before you adopted him for him to get as comfortable as he was there.

However, just know that a cat will get alot of security from a cage. It's like my 2 permanent cat room resident ferals who will not allow me to pet them outside of the cage, but every month or so I need to de-flea them so I cage them to do this, and both allow me to pet the heck out of them :)

He got familiar with the smells, sounds, and sights at the shelter.

In time, sooner than it looks now, he will come around. Suddenly he will seem to be making more and more progress literally every day.

He needs to get his grips on things in his new forever home. He needs to stabilize himself, familiarize himself, with you as well, gain trust, know he is safe and fine, that you are all about good things, positive things, and will do great in no time.

Really!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bubblegum2009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, that gives me more hope. Would you suggest moving him to the bathroom where it's possible to have more interaction, or should we let him stay under the couch until he's ready to start coming out? He's pretty far back in a corner now, so while i think he can see my feet and sometimes my face when it's right next to the wall, i'm a bit worried that i'm just a big noisy monster that he cant actually see fully and thus will never get adjusted to me. But i don't want to undo any unseen progress he might be making by just getting used to the living room area.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I'm thinking he is okay there where he is now, he must be getting somewhat more comfortable there, at least more than day 1 when he came home.

I think it's important to attempt to establish some trust between the 2 of you too.

If you lay on the floor can he see you? What happens often times is he will watch you get down on his level, day after day, talking to him, maybe coax him with treats if he will go for it. If you offer something to him and can't coax him to come and get it from you, just leave it there and he will go get it after you are gone or up off the floor again.

The minute you begin to feel that it's not helping at all and feeling frustrated and hopeless, watch, suddenly he will begin coming out. You have established trust with him, and you didn't even realize it.

It just takes time, patience and understanding, that it's not his fault, and not his personality, he certainly doesn't want to feel afraid and unsure, there is this great big lovable personality just holding back, waiting for the time to come when he will let it out, show his true colors, blossom.

He came from an extremely stressful life before you.

Allow him time to adapt, realize this is a great place to be! It will come before you know it, you're just feeling worried and anxious, like many of us would, same as you :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for adopting this sweet soul.  You may never know the environment he lived in before and what he endured.  As mentioned above, you need to gain his trust.  A few suggestions would be to get a feliway adapter to plug in.  It releases phermones that help to calm cats.  You can also try composure feline treats or composure liquid max mixed in his food.  Both help to calm the cat as well.  Another trick is to use Gerber stage 2 chicken or turkey baby food.  It is known as "kitty crack".  Cats go crazy for it.  You can offer a bit in a dish for him and progress to him eating it off a spoon you offer to then him licking it off your fingers.  Baby food is also really good to mix any liquid medication that may be needed.  Offer him some toys to play with too.  You could also try some catnip sprinkled on a bed for him.  Does he have access to a cat tree or some place he could climb to look outside?  Make sure to sit on the floor at his level so that you are not looming over him. You can sit and talk quietly to him and reassure him that he is safe and will be taken care of.  Offer him a yummy delicious treat.  You can try some plain cooked chicken or a small bit of tuna.  Offer the chicken just out of reach from under the couch and wait quietly. 

I would let him be for a bit longer, but if he continues to hide under the couch, I would try to block it off one time when he has come out.  Then make sure he does have an appropriate hiding spot such as an old box with a comfy blanket or a hiding box in a cat tree.  Make sure your other furniture is blocked off as well.  I wouldn't block off his under the couch spot yet, but if in another few weeks he is still mainly under it and not coming out, you will want to try and block it off.

Calming music may help as well.  My cats love harp music that I downloaded off Amazon.  It is harp music for animals.  It is very calming.  When I have brought new cats into the house, I have played the music sometimes 24/7. 

I am sure your boy is very scared and frightened and it may take him some time to adapt.  Give him time and love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bubblegum2009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe Cashew was at the shelter 4-5 months. Based on the comments they made it seems to have taken him some time him time to adjust.  I know two weeks is nothing really, it's just not quite what I expected based on his friendly demeanor, and my mind gets the best of me worrying that he will never adjust if he didn't get proper care and attention for the two years of his life. I did get him a Feliway diffuser that is plugged in right near the couch and haven't noticed anything yet, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not calming him. I have also been playing some relaxing cat songs I've found on YouTube, but I don't think they have a harp in them so I'll look into that. I'm also going to get the Gerber's stage 2 chicken food and start trying to lure him a bit with that... I've tried Tuna and wet chicken cat food, which he will eat just not while I am in the room. I've also heard good things about Rescue Remedy, does anyone have any insight on that?

He has a cat bed that I sprinkled with catnip and a horizontal scratcher that's also sprinkled with catnip, but it's hard to tell if he's been using either at night -- Cashew has very long light orange hair, and I'm finding tiny bits of it all around the living room. I am eagerly awaiting the day he trusts me enough to let me brush him (has anybody had success with a furminator?). I ordered a nice multi-level kitty condo with vertical scratcher that has a fairly enclosed box that I hope he will someday take to when he is feeling a little more confident instead of under the couch. We are planning to give him another two weeks under the couch to see if any progress is made and then possibly trying to move him to a more integrated hiding place (either the small bathroom or his cat condo if he will take to it). i'm just afraid he's gotten used to being under the couch and may always consider that his safe place (which I really have no problem with as long as he seems happy otherwise, but right now I can tell his is just frightened).

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cashew is just gorgeous!!  What a great name too!! 

I have used Rescue Remedy with some success, but I did find the Composure to be better.  The treats work well, but some cats don't like the taste and it often takes at least 3 treats 2x a day to start with.  I prefer the liquid composure max.  I used 1/2 t. in the morning and 1/4 t. at night mixed into wet food.  It worked much quicker and seemed to last longer than the treats. 

This is the harp music I have

and this one

sweetthangtx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had some experience with colony cats that we have trapped to have neutered. We recover them in a spare bathroom. I have seen what appears to be
a cat version of "Stockholm Syndrome ".

It seems that some cats, when trapped , respond to people in a fawning way as a means of self preservation.
I have seen this in two or three but they were mostly females.

We usually open the trap and let the cat have the run of the room once the sedation sears off. We put a cozy bed and food and water plus a small litter pan.
We have been amazed when we come back into the room to check on the cats to find them purring and willing to be stroked. The cats have let us pick them up and buried their heads in our hands. I did use a towel to wrap them like a burrito.

I think this is mostly females because they stay inside longer than the boys after their surgery. We have had this happen more than once. The last one was not exactly feral. She showed up at our feeding table and within two days she was letting us handle her. I think she was a stray. She was so tame that we didn't actually have to trap her. I just picked her up and put her into the trap. She however. Never wanted to leave! She recovered for three days and when we opened the door for her to leave she refused to budge. I had to pick her up in her bed and move her outside.

I think that some cats in shelters and pet stores may have this behavior as well. When they leave the cage their switch turns back to surviving.

That may be why your boy changed so dramatically when he went home.