Is switching from KMR powder to GNC powder ok?

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Petsmart keeps running out of KMR powder...apparently another person has been buying it up quickly (probably because of the sale on KMR powder that Petsmart has had the past week or so).  So tonight, for lack of any other options and because I'm totally out of the powder at home, I got a can of the GNC kitten replacement (not the weaning).  Is it ok to make a sudden change in brands?  I know one forum member here has mentioned in a few posts that when they compared the ingredients, they were identical.

I've been mixing 38/4 KMR powder with 1/4 KMR liquid the past week to adjust them to powder.  I'm worried a complete change in brands would hurt their tummies.  Any thoughts?  I still have KMR liquid, so I know I can at least keep using that.  maybe I should do a 50/50 mix for a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ingredients are similar, but in different order.  The guaranteed analysis is as follows:

PetAg KMR:

Crude protein 33%

Crude fat:  18%

Crude Fiber 0.5%

Moisture: 5%

Iodine:  2mg

GNC:

Crude Protein: 42%

Crude Fat:  25%

Crude Fiber: 0%

Moisture:  5%

Not sure what all this means, though.  

And to be honest, I get more from GNC (12oz) to PetAg's (10.5oz).

Last edited:

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unless something has changed, when I checked they were identical. You could compare the ingredients on each can though if you want to be safe, since you bought GNC but also have a can of KMR left. I have switched suddenly with no problem when they ran out and I had no other pet stores I could get to before closing that night, but did make sure I read both of the cans I was switching (sometimes they will change a product and then there are still old products on the shelves so it's just safest to compare the cans YOU have on hand and are using to each other). 
As far as liquid to powder I would mix the KMR with the GNC (as far as the liquid KMR if you can) and just keep slowly lessening the liquid until you run out (or whatever your previous plans were). 

Do let me know if you see any differences when you compare your GNC can with your KMR can if at all possible, I would really appreciate it just so I know if there ARE any differences I was not aware of or they possibly changed around anything.

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks, Laura :)  In fact, it was YOUR two posts that I saw that mentioned the similarities between PetAG and GNC  LOL  I read some people say their kittens get constipated, and some said their kittens did great on GNC.  The only brand most were adamant about avoiding was Hartz.  I did compare both KMR and GNC, and they were similar, but not exactly the same.  

I will definitely let you know if I have issues.  My kittens have really nice poop  LOL  (Scroll down on this post:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/260991/litterbox-training   )  They had diarrhea in their first 2 weeks with us, so I was excited to see nicely formed poop ...  so excited that I almost took a picture!  LOL

That last thing I want is to upset the balance.  I've been supplementing 1 feeding w/ probiotics, and today, they had their first taste of raw chicken (gobbled it up!).

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just compared the two by looking online at Petsmart under each formula's list of ingredients (all listed in the same order), calorie content, Protein, Fat, Fiber, Moisture content (for both POWDERS) and they are identical.

I had forgotten that they have Carragean in them :-( I wonder if the new brand I have been ordering does as well. Regardless, before I switched to my new brand I still had many, many orphans do excellent on KMR/GNC and they would be my second choice to what I use but definitely my first choice as far as brands a petstore carries.

Anyway that's beside the point, they are identical as far as the powders go, according to Petsmart's website as far as I can tell.

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no! they must have changed it? Unless I am missing something- anyway thanks for letting me know. I will have to look at what cans they have on the shelves now.

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I figured it out- if you are using the PetAg KMR and not the KMR (they are NOT the same they are two different formulas that PetAg makes both of I believe. They DO have two different labels though and are completely different consistencies and very different) then it IS different than GNC. I don't know if that makes any sense. Oh well :-/

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Ingredients:

Ingredients:

Dried skimmed milk, casein, vegetable oil, butterfat, corn syrup solids, mono- and diglycerides of edible fat forming acids, lecithin, L-arginine, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, monopotassium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, salt, carrageenan, tricalcium phosphate, dipotassium phosphate, taurine, ferrous sulfate, dicalcium phosphate, ascorbic acid, zinc sulfate, niacinamide, vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, vitamin E supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, potassium citrate, thiamin mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, potassium iodide, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, biotin. 

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude protein (min.) 42.0%, crude fat (min.) 25.0%, crude fiber (max.) 0.0%, moisture (max.) 5.0%.

Ingredients (read label under)

Crude protein (min) 42%
Crude fat (min) 25%
Crude Fiber 0%

Moisture (max) 5%

Now I'm confused :-/

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG You're right!  Mine is the PETLAC -- 

So I've been using the wrong one??  This was the only one our Petsmart had under the PetAg brand, so I assumed this was it. Well, they were doing great with this one anyhow :)

I have a little bit of the PetAg left.  I'll mix it w/ the GNC and hopefully their little tummies won't notice.  But it looks like GNC is like the one I should have been using anyway. Good eye!

Ingredients:  Dried Skimmed Milk, Vegetable Oil, Soy Protein Isolate, Casin, Maltodextrins, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Sucrose, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried L. fermentum Fermentation Product, Dried L. acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dired L. plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium bifidum Fermentation Product, Dried Pediococcus acidilactici Fermentation Product, Monopotassium Phosphate, L-arginine, Potassium Chloride, Fructooligosacchardide, Magnesium Sulfate, Taurine, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Ferrous Sulfate, Salt, Dipotassium Phosphate, Calcium Pantothenate, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Copper Gluconate, Zinc Sulfate, Folic Acid, Silicon Dioxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, and Biotin.

Last edited:

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes- that's the one! Just mix them because as you know they are different and they taste a little different. I have switched from Pet LAC before too though with no problems I just mixed as you will do. Plus you are doing the probiotics so that's extra support for their tummies. It's so confusing that there are two " Pet Ag Kitten Milk Replacers."

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Strange..the container and drsfostersmith list the ingredients in the previous post.  But on PetAg's site and on Petsmart's site it lists different ingredients.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ingredients are similar, but in different order.  The guaranteed analysis is as follows:

PetAg KMR:

Crude protein 33%

Crude fat:  18%

Crude Fiber 0.5%

Moisture: 5%

Iodine:  2mg

GNC:

Crude Protein: 42%

Crude Fat:  25%

Crude Fiber: 0%

Moisture:  5%

Not sure what all this means, though.  

And to be honest, I get more from GNC (12oz) to PetAg's (10.5oz).
These two differ quite a lot, the "GNC" has more protein and fat - I suspect being more suitable.

If you think "GNC" being richer is a problem, you can dilute it some.

But as I have noticed, switching brands is not often a problem, unless some brand /home made mixture is really inferior.

The more common problem is, if they dont manage well a brand they do have, and you must try and switch into another brand.  (or at least, try and dilute it).

Good luck!

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed the GNC brand is thicker (it uses a 1:2 formula to water mix, just like the Petlac)...it's thick like the KMR liquid, which I haven't stopped using.  So today, I did a 1/4 GNC, 1/4 Petlac (it will be gone by the end of the day), and 1/2 KMR.  Hopefully that's a slow enough transition.

It's also been my experience with my dogs that switching between 2 high quality foods never posed stomach issues.  So hopefully the same goes for this.

Last edited:

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stefanz : you mean the GNC brand and PetLAC pet ag are different. Pet ag ( something different than last one Mentioned) KMR Is identical on the label to GNC. See the labels and pictures I posted above. Just want to make sure nothing is different than what I am thinking.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stefanz : you mean the GNC brand and PetLAC pet ag are different. Pet ag ( something different than last one Mentioned) KMR Is identical on the label to GNC. See the labels and pictures I posted above. Just want to make sure nothing is different than what I am thinking.
Right, I was referring the contents in the first post which arent identical.

I understand there is some sort of mix up; several different products but almost the same name on them, and thus, one of them is exactly same content as the GNC.  (probably some inofficial cooperation there)

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But general consensus would be that GNC  is as adequate as the KMR, right?  I would hate to be feeding inferior food.  I heard about diarrhea issues, but I did notice it's hard to dissolve the GNC powder, so maybe people weren't mixing them as well.  I take my time to crush as much of the powder as I can with a spoon.  The kittehs gobbled up the mix, though!  I noticed they're not in the finicky stage yet.  So hopefully all this change might actually do them good ;)

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pawpurrints, I would prefer pet ag KMR or GNC over PEtlac pet ag ( the one you are switching from). But as Stefan's mentioned the GNC/KMR is richer and as you've noticed has a thicker consistency so if you notice even the beginnings of someone becoming constipated then add more water. I was going to ask if they are taking the GNC well and am glad to hear they are- I've found kittens prefer the KMR or GNC over the PetLAC by Petag. So, I personally think the one you are switching to is better and it is identical to KMR which is a highly recommended brand of milk replacer. I think especially with the probiotics they will do fine with the switch and if anything you may have to water it down a little more if you notice any signs of stomach/GI issues.

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I forgot to ask: you are mixing it by adding one half of the water called for with the powder first until it is smooth and then adding the other half of water right? I'm sure you are since you've been doing this for awhile now but just wanted to check. I mix very very warm water in and I think it does make it easier, but yes the regular KMR and GNC are harder to mix and get all of those clumps out of unfortunately : /

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No....I've been just doing the 1 to 2 mix and really taking my time w/ a spoon and smooshing up any formed chunks I see.  I think sometimes people are just shaking the container.  I've been smooshing :)

Good idea about thinning it out a bit.  I will probably do that.  As much as I would love to buy the KMR if I could find it, I will admit that costwise, GNC is more economical, so since it's high quality enough, I'll stick with it :)

As I mentioned in my other thread in raw feeding, I already fed them chicken pieces yesterday. I'm going to feed the chicken in between milk.  I know you're supposed to feed kittens every 3-4 hours, but to be honest, since they hit the 2 1/2-3 week mark, I've been feeding them every 6-8 hours.  Mainly because they seem less likely to inhale milk when I spread out the feedings.  When I feed too soon, they're just not hungry enough and we were finding ourselves trying to force the nipple in their mouths  lol.  It's worked out though, because they play and explore the kitchen in between naps and feedings, and are gaining weight steadily.  So now I'll just add chicken in between until I can convince them to drink milk out of a plate ;)

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pawpurrints, if you mix half of the water in first to the powder and mix that really good and then add the other half of the water it should make it a lot easier for you- it's a little trick that bottle feeders use.
Is your profile picture a picture of one of these little kittens? I keep wondering so figured I'd ask. If so he/she is adorable : )