Is Skinless Chicken Thigh Has Low Protein And Phosphorus?

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has kidney stone and we have medicine where I lived for dissolving it that he needs to take for 2 months he is doing doing good playful, active, and has good appetite but the vet said he needs to be in a low protein diet for now until we ultrasound him again after 2 months. I am giving him royal canin renal wet food and he really likes it but is it ok to prepare for him 1 pc skinless chicken thigh with drumstick and boil it without any seasoning and veggies then blender it to make a soup with still bits of chicken that I will give once a day? I think 1 thigh can be consume for 5 days. I know chicken only is not a balance diet. He is eating 4 times a day everyday. Is it ok to give Renal food 3 times then boiled chicken soup with meat once a day? Is chicken thigh without skin has low protein and phosphorus?

I gave him the boiled chicken now and he really likes it

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Other wet food options I have is either high protein or high phosphorus like weruva Cats in the kitchen funk in the trunk or merrick purrfect bistro

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
would NOT think chicken thighs are low protein, however, depending on how many vegies you are mixing it with, that would help to reduce the amount of protein in the meal. But I don't know how much phosphorus is in a chicken thigh.

If you just want to look for other low protein, low phosphorus canned food, check out this list: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't put veggies since veggie like carrots have high calcium oxalate. I've read about it the food guide but the only options I have where I lived are these:

Royal canin renal tuna wet
Hills kd chicken
Dr clauders renal- he doesnt like it
Kitcat grain free- has FOS
Fancy feast classic- i think high phosphorus
Whiskas-low quality
Weruva cats in the kitchen- about 70 percent protein
Merrick purrfect bistro- high phosphorus

Is it not safe to give him boiled chicken thigh wihout skin and seasoning as a treat?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I honestly think that's a question for your Vet. I would be very specific in my question to him, and ask him "how much protein can I feed, and is that Guaranteed Analysis or Dry Matter Basis?" If he says Dry Matter Basis, then you will properly need to CALL the pet food companies you are considering feeding and ask them for the conversion as what you will see on the labels is Guaranteed Analysis, which is obviously quite a bit lower. Don't forget to ask him, too, about giving him a cooked chicken thigh as a treat :wink:.