Is She Pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roguescavenger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend says she is definitely in heat because when she pet her she put her butt in the air and started moving her legs, but I feel like she had always raised her butt when I started scratching near her bottom?? But I don't know about moving her legs any.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pregnant cats do that too, but she may be in heat after all. If she's not pregnant, she needs spaying. I hope this gets resolved one way or the other soon!

roguescavenger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pregnant cats do that too, but she may be in heat after all. If she's not pregnant, she needs spaying. I hope this gets resolved one way or the other soon!
Suddenly she's been acting like she's in heat. She sticks her butt in the air and crawls around meowing. Do pregnant cats do that? If she is just in heat I'll be glad and getting get spayed as soon as I can.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to take her to a vet. She shouldn't be having a lot of clear discharge if she isn't in labor, and I am concerned it could be pyometria.

roguescavenger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you need to take her to a vet. She shouldn't be having a lot of clear discharge if she isn't in labor, and I am concerned it could be pyometria.
What is that? Can you name some symptoms so I can see if she has them? Or is the discharge the only thing? If so I'll try to get off work to take her now

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Discharge and a swollen belly are symptoms of pyometra. It is a potentially fatal infection of the uterus. It fills with fluid that starts to come out as discharge, though normally it is creamier.

It can't hurt to get her checked. It's time you know what's going on.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pyometria is an infection of the uterus. Is she acting like she has a fever at all? We've had cases where people thought it was a pregnancy but it was swelling from pyo.

roguescavenger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think the vet is open right now, but I'll call still and ask anyways and try to get off if it is. If I can't tonight I'll take her tomorrow morning.

roguescavenger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I took Momo to the vet and they said she had a horrible horrible case of worms, and that the reason she seemed to have her nipples picking up and boobs getting a bit bigger was just because she was reaching sexual maturity! She is spayed, wormed, and vaccined now :) but sadly kittens have not gone out of my life because just yesterday I found 6 stray kittens in my backyard that my dogs were trying to play with a little too roughly. I've gathered them up and can't find a mother cat anywhere. I keep looking out for her but I'm extremely worried my dogs might have ran her off and she got hurt by another animal or she was gone in the first place or she's just too scared to come back. The kittens look to be about 5-6 weeks old. I found a home for one already with my dad, and the others are being taken to the vet soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
R roguescavenger

Oh my! I'm glad your cat is spayed and healthy now.

It sounds to me like someone dumped the kittens in your yard. Poor things. Good you found them!

Are they eating wet food and using the litter box?

You might want to keep them all together until 8 weeks.

Can we get a picture?

roguescavenger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my! I'm glad your cat is spayed and healthy now.

It sounds to me like someone dumped the kittens in your yard. Poor things. Good you found them!

Are they eating wet food?
I did not have any wet food, the only kitten type things I have is milk from forever ago when I used to bottlefeed kittens, so for the night I just gave them Momo's hard food. They've used the litter box and I laid down peeing pads in case they didn't really know how to use the litter box and they used that as well. I wanted to keep the one my dad took but my step mother and siblings were all a little forceful and just came over and took one :/ which really upset me because I tried to explain that kittens really need to stay with their litter mates to learn important lessons to help with hunting (since they wanted her anyways to catch mice at their house) but they seemed to think I was just making up excuses to keep her. I also have noticed they are all very bloated, I've given them baths with dawn soap because they were infested with fleas and I think it helped a little, but I'm too worried they're too young to give a bath with cat flea shampoo. Do you know how old a kitten has to be to be vaccinated and wormed? I'm going to try and take them to the vet this week, but I know it will cost a lot with them all D: I would not be surprised if they were dumped! The only reason I have my three big dogs is because someone threw them out of the car here. Two when they were tiny pups not even old enough to eat food. And the weird thing about it is they are all black except for the one longhaired gray one!

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens should be 8 weeks for first vaccines. Will you be helping with medical care for the one your dad took? Will you get them all spayed and neutered? I'm concerned that your dad is not going to care for his kitten at all, and i really think you might want to get it back.

roguescavenger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens should be 8 weeks for first vaccines. Will you be helping with medical care for the one your dad took? Will you get them all spayed and neutered? I'm concerned that your dad is not going to care for his kitten at all, and i really think you might want to get it back.
Okay I will still take them to the vet for checkups though! No I know that they are very picky about animals and they have to be flea free, worm free, spayed/neutered and very healthy. I'm going to put away a little money for them to get them all fixed, yes :). I want her back so she can be with her siblings for a little while longer, but I do think he'd take care of her very well he just doesn't understand that kittens don't just learn things on their own and really need sibling time and even mom time. Luckily Momo has somewhat adjusted to them a lot faster than she did the dogs and can teach them a few things, but I do worry his kitten might not develop like these will.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will they be patient with the kitten if it has behavioral issues from being taken too early?

roguescavenger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will they be patient with the kitten if it has behavioral issues from being taken too early?
I believe they would be, but if they don't I'd tell them I could take her back, or at least find a home for her that would be patient.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get wet food today? Or at least a bag of kitten chow?

How old is the milk? Has it been in the freezer? It may still be good and you could mix it and use it to soften the hard food.

I agree that they are no more than 5-6 weeks. It's a shame your dad's family refused to wait a few more weeks.

If they are heavily flea infested, I think flea shampoo would be okay.

If they are bloated they are probably full of worms.

Talk to your vet office about a group rate for the dumped kittens to be seen and wormed. Maybe they can give you a payment plan. My vet treats a litter of kittens as one cat and only charges one fee.

Do you have a low-cost spay/neuter clinic nearby? I can help you find one if you give your city and state.

Thank you for rescuing them! I feel certain they got dumped.

roguescavenger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a shame because this really could be avoided.
I know :(
Can you get wet food today? Or at least a bag of kitten chow?

How old is the milk? Has it been in the freezer? It may still be good and you could mix it and use it to soften the hard food.

I agree that they are no more than 5-6 weeks. It's a shame your dad's family refused to wait a few more weeks.

If they are heavily flea infested, I think flea shampoo would be okay.

If they are bloated they are probably full of worms.

Talk to your vet office about a group rate for the dumped kittens to be seen and wormed. Maybe they can give you a payment plan. My vet treats a litter of kittens as one cat and only charges one fee.

Do you have a low-cost spay/neuter clinic nearby? I can help you find one if you give your city and state.

Thank you for rescuing them! I feel certain they got dumped.
I got wet food for them and hard kitten food for when they're older. It's very old formula mix type stuff. It's powdery so I never put it anywhere but the cabinet. Never been opened. I think my vet might do puppies and kittens as one charge but I'm not sure, I will ask when I take them this week. I do know where a low cost spay and neuter clinic is, I have taken all my dogs there before, thank you though :) I feel like they were probably dumped too, but I'll keep a look out for a momma cat just in case shes around because I have seen a couple of stray cats out here before but it's very rare.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This all sounds good. What is the expiration date on the formula?

Are the kittens eating the wet food well?