Is She Pregnant Or Not? Please Help Me Out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! A little update on the baby's and i have another question. They are now 10 days old. The first born (girl) is having her eyes halfway open and the second (boy) is starting today with one eye. They where gaining fine. The girl fluctates a little but the boy gained stadily around 20 gr. A day. I will post their chart in a picture.
Now for the last two days especially the boy gained a lot less. And i allready tried call the vet but i cant reach them. I will call back in a bit was wondering what you guys would say about this. Today he had a weight gain of 7 gr and yesterday only 6gr. The girl today also had gained only 7 gr. And im a little worried about that. Ive seen mommy feed them yesterday at least 4 times. Also i noticed my mommy cat is making the prrrr noises when shes in there with them, and i dont mean purring by that but the sound they will make when in heath i dont know if that's normal? And sometimes when i watch her feed them she would all of a sudden just roll over and break their latching but i don't know if thats because im watching and is bothering her? Can anyone tell me what tgis could be?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is mom's appetite good? Is she still eating and drinking a lot?
When you check her breasts, how do they look and feel? Are any of them swollen and hard, red, or hot?

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is mom's appetite good? Is she still eating and drinking a lot?
When you check her breasts, how do they look and feel? Are any of them swollen and hard, red, or hot?
her appetite is still huge she had unlimited dryfood and 2 times a day kitten wetfood and 2 times a day gourmet soup and in de morning she gets a sauce snack with her supplement tried mixing kmr in but she doesnt like it. Drinking i never see her do it anymore. But i guess thats because the ammount of wetfood. She pees normally and the colour is good. Breasts also seem oke but i dont know if she produces milk on the top ones.
20190405_203832.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If her breasts appear normal, she probably doesn't have mastitis, and that's a relief.

If she is showing signs of being in heat, that may be the problem. Mother cats can come into heat while nursing their babies, and this can sometimes interfere with nursing. Being in heat can affect how she behaves with her kittens, and I have also heard that being in heat can affect the quality of the milk, although I haven't noticed that myself. Make sure she doesn't have access to any males! She can become pregnant while she is still nursing babies, and that isn't good for her.

I'm a bit concerned about the slowed weight gain for the kittens. You don't want to see that trend continue. You could try supplementing the babies with some formula or goat milk so that they get some extra nutrition at this time. At 10 days of age they aren't old enough to start weaning. Make sure they still keep nursing on mom, too.

I would also suggest that in addition to calling the vet, you call the breeder that you got her from. Ask if her mother, or other relatives, has had any trouble nursing kittens, and ask for any other advice they may have.

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If her breasts appear normal, she probably doesn't have mastitis, and that's a relief.

If she is showing signs of being in heat, that may be the problem. Mother cats can come into heat while nursing their babies, and this can sometimes interfere with nursing. Being in heat can affect how she behaves with her kittens, and I have also heard that being in heat can affect the quality of the milk, although I haven't noticed that myself. Make sure she doesn't have access to any males! She can become pregnant while she is still nursing babies, and that isn't good for her.

I'm a bit concerned about the slowed weight gain for the kittens. You don't want to see that trend continue. You could try supplementing the babies with some formula or goat milk so that they get some extra nutrition at this time. At 10 days of age they aren't old enough to start weaning. Make sure they still keep nursing on mom, too.

I would also suggest that in addition to calling the vet, you call the breeder that you got her from. Ask if her mother, or other relatives, has had any trouble nursing kittens, and ask for any other advice they may have.
Thanks for your reply! Youre really helpfull as usual! Her breasts seem good to me. I see her feed the kittens now and them i dont bother them a lot, only checking them and weighing them in the morning. And sometimes when shes in there i take a peek if she's feeding them. She doesnt really like to be bothered and she doesnt like it when her babies cry haha. She doesnt look to me like she's in heath. She just makes that prrrr sound sometimes when shes with her babies esspecially when they cry a little. I couldnt reach the vet.. i tried again and gues they started their weekend early. Im calling another one tomorrow because like you im a bit concerned about the weight gain. She doesnt have ant access to any male dont worry. I cant contact her breeder anymore so that's no help. I just know (and that should have been a red flag to me but i didnt know then) she weaned all of the kittens at week 5 and separated them from mom because mom was too skinny and didnt want to nurse them anymore. At first we agreed i could pick her up with 9 weeks. But after she weaned them she called me said i could allready pick her up if i wanted to.. i know so sad. But i waited till she was 7 weeks. And i know now thats still too young.. And the breeder of the male cat just said if they are gaining theyre fine but you can call the vet if youre concerned. Well tried that today without succes.. im a little scared to supplement the babies because my cat doesnt really like me touching them. If i just touch them a little she starts washing them right away...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she seem to nurse them more when you leave her alone with them? Some moms get easily distracted by humans coming in to check on them, so it can help to leave them alone... other moms will nurse more when humans are around.

It sounds like you are already a more responsible breeder than the lady who sold you your cat... It's crazy that she would let a kitten go at 5 weeks!! Sometimes kittens do need to be weaned early for some medical reason, but even when they must be separated from mom, it's important for them to stay with their litter mates for socialization. I'm assuming you know that it's important to hang on to the kittens until 12 weeks at the earliest before they go to their new homes. 14-16 weeks is even better.

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just weighed them again ( its now evening in holland) i don't know what couldve caused the little gain but it seems like they are doing better now. Because theyve gained 18 and 15 gr. Since this morning so i gues that better right? Also i have another question lol .. should i be worried this little boys eye? On the left in the picture is starting to open up but the right one in the picture looks like it s been wet or something do you see that too? His name is Wolfje btw means little wolf in dutch.
20190405_222055.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great that they gained more weight! Perhaps they will be fine from now on. It's great that you are weighing them every day and taking such good care of them.

Wolfje's eye looks like it might have opened and then gotten stuck shut again. That happens sometimes. Was his eye more open than that earlier? I would take a clean, warm, wet washcloth and gently soak the area with warm water. Don't pull on the eyelids to force the eye open. If it is stuck shut, it will probably open on its own when you soak it.

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great that they gained more weight! Perhaps they will be fine from now on. It's great that you are weighing them every day and taking such good care of them.

Wolfje's eye looks like it might have opened and then gotten stuck shut again. That happens sometimes. Was his eye more open than that earlier? I would take a clean, warm, wet washcloth and gently soak the area with warm water. Don't pull on the eyelids to force the eye open. If it is stuck shut, it will probably open on its own when you soak it.
Thanks so much its good to hear, Im doing the best i can. Some people around me think Im overreacting sometimes hahaha. I just want them to be healthy. His eye did not open before not even a little bit. The other eye started to open the day before yesterday. Thanks for the advice Im gonna try that because his eye looks even more "crusted" today. So Im gonna try that and if its not gonna get better by monday ill take him to the vet . Thanks again! Ill keep you updated!

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she seem to nurse them more when you leave her alone with them? Some moms get easily distracted by humans coming in to check on them, so it can help to leave them alone... other moms will nurse more when humans are around.

It sounds like you are already a more responsible breeder than the lady who sold you your cat... It's crazy that she would let a kitten go at 5 weeks!! Sometimes kittens do need to be weaned early for some medical reason, but even when they must be separated from mom, it's important for them to stay with their litter mates for socialization. I'm assuming you know that it's important to hang on to the kittens until 12 weeks at the earliest before they go to their new homes. 14-16 weeks is even better.
I dont know actually my cat is a little weird haha. The first day she would call me to help them latch it was really funny. And she didnt seem to mind if i was around. But than i think it was on the 4th day or so she tried to move one of them upstairs in my closet. And thats not a good spot for them so i put the baby back. And covered the cage shes in with blankets so it's nice and dark. (I have the nest in a cage don't worry i never close it). I also made a nest upstairs for her to choose but she never tried to replace them again. But when i check if they are feeding and when they are she sometimes just roll over belly up breakt the latch and start wine meouwing and making the prr sound. I dont know if thats because she wants to show me like look mommy im feeding them , or mommy pet my belly , or surrending like please dpnt hurt my babies. But i just weighed them again ajd the girl did not gain anything since last night. And the boy gained another 10 gr. Really weird.. the girl kitten is gonna stay woth us and the boy im not sure yet but he stays at least untill he's 12 weeks. Maybe he's gonna live with a friend or family member of maybe he stays too haha

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know actually my cat is a little weird haha. The first day she would call me to help them latch it was really funny. And she didnt seem to mind if i was around. But than i think it was on the 4th day or so she tried to move one of them upstairs in my closet. And thats not a good spot for them so i put the baby back. And covered the cage shes in with blankets so it's nice and dark. (I have the nest in a cage don't worry i never close it). I also made a nest upstairs for her to choose but she never tried to replace them again. But when i check if they are feeding and when they are she sometimes just roll over belly up breakt the latch and start wine meouwing and making the prr sound. I dont know if thats because she wants to show me like look mommy im feeding them , or mommy pet my belly , or surrending like please dpnt hurt my babies. But i just weighed them again ajd the girl did not gain anything since last night. And the boy gained another 10 gr. Really weird.. the girl kitten is gonna stay woth us and the boy im not sure yet but he stays at least untill he's 12 weeks. Maybe he's gonna live with a friend or family member of maybe he stays too haha
Make that decision depending on whether the kittens seem like a bonded pair. Often, there are particular kittens in a litter who are especially close and it’s almost cruel to separate them. Some kittens are independent. You’ll have to observe and see as they get older.

I would also say that you should only rehome him to a home with another cat or a kitten, if he goes. Kittens have so much energy and really need the outlet of a feline playmate.

Are you sure that your scale is working properly?

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make that decision depending on whether the kittens seem like a bonded pair. Often, there are particular kittens in a litter who are especially close and it’s almost cruel to separate them. Some kittens are independent. You’ll have to observe and see as they get older.

I would also say that you should only rehome him to a home with another cat or a kitten, if he goes. Kittens have so much energy and really need the outlet of a feline playmate.

Are you sure that your scale is working properly?
Youre totally right about that. Thats why i at least keeping one because my cat is missing a feline friend. And if the 2 babies are really close like you mentioned i gues i just keep the both of them. There is one friend who maybe is interested in him allready has 2 cats her self. But im not making promises to anyone right now as i want to see how he grows up what his character is like if he's healthy etc. Good that you mentioned it and also about the scale havent thought about that im gonna check that out thanks!

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

lutece lutece I cleaned the eye like you said did use boiled water just to be sure. And it helped!. It started opening right away! Thanks!
PhotoGrid_1554625884503.jpg

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi y'all!
Here's another update on the twinnies and I have another question! The weight gain of the kittens is still a little fluctuating, but they had a total weight gain in their second week of 108 gr and 105 gr, and that's enough right? I tried supplement feeding with KMR, but it wasnt that succesfull. First of all babies did not like it and mommy cat started panicing when her babies were crying to the point she felt like its enough with this and tried to take the baby away from me. I tried giving it to them while in their nest. But mommy prevented me to do so because they would cry and she woild just block their faces haha. I got a few drops in them though. BUT..I just think mommy isnt feeding them over night. During the day i just help them latch a little so they have a little exta but i started weighing them twice a day now and i notice no to little weight gain overnight. So thats kind of weird..
But since they're 2 weeks old now they need a deworming any time soon.
So I bought some dewormer at the vets. They give me Panacur. I got the paste for the babies and tablets for mommy.
They said start with the babies at 3 weeks. But I was googling just now and some say you can start at 2 weeks. So what should i do? 2 or 3 weeks with the panacur?
PhotoGrid_1554967723015.jpg

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the breeders I know in Europe use Royal Canin Convalescence Support mixed in goat milk and have excellent results with it, maybe that's something you can consult with your vet/mentor and use instead KMR

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the breeders I know in Europe use Royal Canin Convalescence Support mixed in goat milk and have excellent results with it, maybe that's something you can consult with your vet/mentor and use instead KMR
Do you mean for mom or the babies? I heard people give that to the queen before and after the birth. But never heard about giving it to the babies. A