Is she nearly there...?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...this may not be good.

I notised you said she is becoming more lethargic and also biting. Does she seem to be in pain at all? Also, feel her ears and paws, do they feel unusually hot?

My female cat was preggers about 2 1/2 months ago and was almost due when I noticed she had on and off discharge, became lethargic, hardly ate, and suddenly started meowing/growling/bitnig if I tried to pick her up or touched her. After 2 days she didn't change and I called the vet he told me to bring her in immediately. Turns out she had tried to abort one of her kitens and it got trapped in the birth canal. The kitten had died and begun to rot(that cause the lethergy and high temp). As a result they had to do an emergency c-section and were unable to save any of the kittens because, although they were still alive, they had already begun the decompose and were beyond saving. Had I waited any longer I would have lost the mama cat too.

If possible, take the mama cat's temp. If it is above 103, take her to the vet IMMEDIATELY! If you can't take her temp, then feel her paws and ears, if they feel too hot, again, please take her to the vet because it sounds like she may be in the same situation as my cat was.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emmorticia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:S hope all's ok. She only complains sometimes when I've got my hand on her belly to feel the kittens. In terms of the lethargic thing...it's more that she's spending a lot of time asleep in our bedroom, but she still runs after me when she needs feeding, and was happy to play with a bit of string earlier. Think she's ok, but you've got me worried now!

The minimum number of days she's gone now is 63 - am going to keep a close eye on her though to make sure she seems ok

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmorticia

:S hope all's ok. She only complains sometimes when I've got my hand on her belly to feel the kittens. In terms of the lethargic thing...it's more that she's spending a lot of time asleep in our bedroom, but she still runs after me when she needs feeding, and was happy to play with a bit of string earlier. Think she's ok, but you've got me worried now!

The minimum number of days she's gone now is 63 - am going to keep a close eye on her though to make sure she seems ok
Once she has her kittens...I recommend that you keep her food and litterbox in the same room as where you have her nesting box. That way...as the kittens get older, they can see mom using the litterbox and eating the kitten food which will try to mimic her which will make the weaning process easier.

Katie

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You said she is playing and running after you so I wuold say she's probably fine. Did you chack for the temp? With my cay it all happened pretty fast. I mean, it was a VERY dramatic change in her behavior. After 2 days she wouldn't get up to eat, she wouldn't play, she wouldn't do ANYTHING! I had to force feed her food and water.

Sorry if I worried you for no reason...I guess you could say that I'm paranoid about it. I mean, they say complications in feline pregnancies are really rare so when it happened to me it really hit home. I just don't ever want to see that happen to someone else because it's awful. So, I figure if I see someone post about their preggers cat and it sounds like they could possible be going through what I did I will always tell them what happened to my cat so they can know what to watch out for...just in case. Mainly it's because I know that if I had brough my cat to the vet just a day earlier they could have saved the kittens. It's my fault. Anyways, what happened happened and all I can do now is try and help it from happening to someone else. Again, sorry if I freaked you out. LOL!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emmorticia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's fine, no need to apologise! Still no kittens as yet today (surprise surprise), but she has been hiding in various places in the bedroom today (next to our bookcase, behind the wardrobe, and even in her nesting box!) I've not seen any milk leaking, but she's definitely full of milk now - big swellings behind each nipple! Wish she'd hurry up...

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ahhhh...the classic waiting game

This is the best part, enjoy it.(cause I know the cat sure is!)

Think about it, these are the last few days you have for at least the next 3 months that you have peace and quiet. After the kittens are born(depending on how may), you will have about 2 weeks of cute kittens that are sweet and don't get into trouble, but let me tell you...as soon as their eyes are open, they immediately begin LOOKING for trouble. LOL!

Anyways! Have fun while you can and enjoy your affectionate, preggers mama cat while she is still preggers and you can feel the kittens moving inside, etc...

Also, have fun waiting!(let me tell you ahead of time, these next few days will feel like an eternity!)