Is she in heat

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as spaying while in heat, I know that some vets don't do it, but getting her in between heats can be tricky

As far as the claw thing, I have a Siamese that has the claw sticking out thing, and unfortunately he's an adult that never got used to having his claws trimmed so its a nightmare to do it now, I try to get one or two whenever i can, but if you get your kitten used to it while she's young it will be easy in the future and trimming the claws does do wonders for how much they can actually scratch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadow_kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok i know that i will wait for her to get out of heat. I got her from a lady at work and am still waiting to get her paper work including vet paper work. Then i will not have the money until friday or monday. And then i have to make the vet appt. So i still have about a week to play around with before she can be spayed.

But no one really answerd my question about what happens and the after care of her being spayed

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$55 is a great price for a spay surgery.

Some vets will allow them to come home same day if they appear to be doing well after waking up, others like to keep them overnight.

Usually they will give a pain shot which is good for 24-48 hours (I would ask them to do this).
They ask you to keep them quite for a few days and to keep an eye on the inscision, looking for swelling, redness, tearing or seepage.
Also depending on the vet she may get 5 days of antibiotics for prevention purposes, though this is not standard.
She may, or may not need to wear an e-collar.

This sounds like a whole bunch, but really, it's just mostly keeping her quiet and watching the stitches for signs of infection.

shadow_kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is really young. I found out that she will be a year old on may 15th. So since she is still a kitten would that help her heal or make it longer... and would i have to take her back in to get the stitches out... i have never done this. this is the first time i have had a cat on my own. (grow up with them but my mom would do the vet stuff) So i am new to the spaying thing.

is there any good websites that i can read about spaying to get more info on it.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The younger they are, the faster they heal

As for the stitches, again, depends on the vet, some use traditional sutures which will need to be removed, others use disolving sutures.
If you are going through the Humane Society's vet services, chances are they will be disolving sutures.

shadow_kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it is weird what they do. I go and buy a coupon if you will that is $55 and then i get a list of vets that will do the spaying. here is the link if you want to look it over the program is called S.N.I.P

http://www.larimerhumane.org/services/snip.cfm

This is why i was asking for more info on what happens becuase i really cant find any info on it

shadow_kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are a great place and are really good to the animals.I just dont know what vet to use on the list becuase non of them are my current vet. if my current vet does it it will be over $150

Momof3rugratz: i see you are in plymouth. thats really cool. i was born in layton, and have family in sandy, roy, riverdale, and layton. small world

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shadow_kitty

They are a great place and are really good to the animals.I just dont know what vet to use on the list becuase non of them are my current vet. if my current vet does it it will be over $150
If I were in your shoes, I'd explain to your vet that because of money issues, you are going through the HS for the spay, and ask his prof. opinion of the vets listed.

shadow_kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok well i just tryed to call him and he is out of the office for the next 2 weeks and the front desk girl was new and didnt know. i will talk to the center when i get my "coupon" for the spaying and see who they like the most

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shadow_kitty

Momof3rugratz: i see you are in plymouth. thats really cool. i was born in layton, and have family in sandy, roy, riverdale, and layton. small world
Not far from me.. Is a small world.