Is she in active labor

momma belle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My pregnant cat (Belle) is moaning and straining. I was looking at her vagina an hour ago and she had like a brown slime coming from it which I think is her mucus plug and I think she licked or ate afterwards. I put her in her birthing box and she is moaning and straining and licking her vagina and there's clear discharge coming from her. She also wants me to stay with her at all times. Is this active labour and if so how long will it be till she has the kittens ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My pregnant cat (Belle) is moaning and straining. I was looking at her vagina an hour ago and she had like a brown slime coming from it which I think is her mucus plug and I think she licked or ate afterwards. I put her in her birthing box and she is moaning and straining and licking her vagina and there's clear discharge coming from her. She also wants me to stay with her at all times. Is this active labour and if so how long will it be till she has the kittens ?
Prelabor phase may be 24 hours.  The active pushing phase is shorter than with humans, if its longer than 40 min of active pushing, contact your vet.

So it sounds like beginning of prelabor yes.  Has she dropped?  ie seems lesser tha she was a few days ago?

If not dropped, it could be some "training" contractions, its common - with human women too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momma belle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thanks
I'm not sure about her dropping but she's got blood coming from her vagina is this normal? It more of a watered down blood

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks
I'm not sure about her dropping but she's got blood coming from her vagina is this normal? It more of a watered down blood
How much blood?

Can you keep mom 100% inside and away from intact males until the kittens have weaned?

momma belle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not a lot of blood and it's mostly when she's moving about.
Yes I can keep her in.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dropping if you place your hand under her feel tummy follow to the rear you

can feel babies have moved are ready to come, inside they line up in sequence

form all being prepared for delivery. She may or may not look

as big wide as before. 

momma belle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doesn't look like she's dropped

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pinkish discharge is normal at the end of pregnancy. If she has bright red blood it could be an issue. Does she appear to be having contractions? It sounds like she may be experiencing pain.

momma belle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's just had two but the first one doesn't can't find a nipple what did I do it's been nearly an hour

momma belle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
5 now and all kittens and mum doing good. Kittens seem to be finding their way now

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great! Make sure all are nursing well, and watch out for a runt. [emoji]128522[/emoji]