Is she close to labor?

Jinxsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we’ve never even owned a cat before then this beautiful kind soul wondered into our ranch. We checked with other farmers she’s not their’s. She would eat a lot but we’d figured she’s a stray she’s just hungry that’s it. One day the kids said they could feel her belly move, then we thought oh shoot. The first time I could feel movement/ see the tiniest twitch in her belly was March 12. Within the last 2 weeks you could see them moving when she’s standing or laying down. Her nipples looked like this on the 22 around this time you’d see the kittens moving a lot more. The photo of her laying down was the 19th. Now today she’s getting kind of protective even when walking by her. The last photo is of her now. I know no one can give an exact due date but I’d like to be sure to have someone around for when she does go into labor.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping this cat. My guess is that she is not a feral, but a stray or abandoned cat. You mentioned that you live on a ranch (and you absolutely do not have to tell us where you live), but in my experience there are certain locations which are often used, unfortunately, to dump cats and dogs. Often more open country space or wilderness are prime area.

I suggest that you keep her inside even if she asks to go out. Cats choose locations that appeal to them to have their litters, not places that will make it easy to relocate the litter or even find them. My avatar was born under a neighbor's house.

Trying to put together a timeline is a little more difficult, so I am sort of guessing and stand to be corrected. If you are actually seeing the kittens move by easily observing her, she is probably close to delivery. You also mentioned she is changing in her behavior and becoming protective which could be a variation of restless or uneasy. This could be around week 8. If that last picture shows a belly that you feel has dropped or changed in shape, it could also mean that she is very close.

Cat Pregnancy Stages: A Week-by-Week Guide | Canna-Pet®
This is a week by week guideline of the pregnancy

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth - TheCatSite
Cat Pregnancy - Your Essential Roadmap to Feline Motherhood - TheCatSite
How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? [Answered] - TheCatSite
Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats: Your Complete Resource - TheCatSite
These articles from TCS will also be helpful

Kitten Lady
This is a very helpful site with a great deal of information about all aspects of pregnancy, birth, and kittens.

Do you have a nesting box for her and a place inside for her to deliver and stay with her kittens?

Please remember that you can come here for help and advice as this all progresses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jinxsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for helping this cat. My guess is that she is not a feral, but a stray or abandoned cat. You mentioned that you live on a ranch (and you absolutely do not have to tell us where you live), but in my experience there are certain locations which are often used, unfortunately, to dump cats and dogs. Often more open country space or wilderness are prime area.

I suggest that you keep her inside even if she asks to go out. Cats choose locations that appeal to them to have their litters, not places that will make it easy to relocate the litter or even find them. My avatar was born under a neighbor's house.

Trying to put together a timeline is a little more difficult, so I am sort of guessing and stand to be corrected. If you are actually seeing the kittens move by easily observing her, she is probably close to delivery. You also mentioned she is changing in her behavior and becoming protective which could be a variation of restless or uneasy. This could be around week 8. If that last picture shows a belly that you feel has dropped or changed in shape, it could also mean that she is very close.

Kitten Lady
This is a very helpful site with a great deal of information about all aspects of pregnancy, birth, and kittens.

Do you have a nesting box for her and a place inside for her to deliver and stay with her kittens?

Please remember that you can come here for help and advice as this all progresses.

We just checked her since she was letting us pet her for a bit and her nipples are larger and this time with a lot less hair around them. The last time we had to move the hair away from them. Unfortunately I don’t believe she’s a stray but instead somebody left her somewhere because she’s been so sweet

Attachments

Jinxsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There’s light tan bloody discharge now and she’s becoming vocal.

Kitten Lady

there is light tan bloody discharge, a lot of licking and meowing

Jinxsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds close. I suppose she has also dropped - ie suddenly seems less pregnant? most cats do so some day before delivery.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. If you have anything calciumrich food, try and give her. Whatever she eats or drinks. Cant hurt, may help.
goats milk, yoghurt, kmr, cheese...

Low calcium level in in blood causes weak labor.

Jinxsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds close. I suppose she has also dropped - ie suddenly seems less pregnant? most cats do so some day before delivery.
She’s had one but nothing more. She still seems rather large. She’s eating and drinking

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s had one but nothing more. She still seems rather large. She’s eating and drinking
Its not unusual with just one kitten. As long she is OK, no visible problems, its just to wait and see.
Either she has more whom will come later on, or she is done... And the swollen uterus makes she seems to have one more.

Of course, if you notice serious problems contact vet asap.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. Kitten seems good hairy and nicely developed... Good!

To get some extra security, do weigh himher in grammes every day. If shehe raises good every day, good. If it doesnt raise - not good.

Very smart device for all less experienced owners and caretakers of queens.