Is She A Turkish Angora?

acrazycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

So we adopted a year-old girl a few months ago from a friend (cat's name is tootsie). Her litter is a DLH on paper, but there seems to be something different about her? She and her siblings are all long-haired and white, and they all seem to have characteristics similar to the Turkish Angora?? Although her eyes aren't the usual blue (her siblings' are though).

I'm super curious if this hunch is accurate. Though if she isn't, I'd love to know what other breeds she may look like! :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! she's a beautiful cat :loveeyes:
I can't see her tail, --if it is quite long and fluffy, she could have some Turkish angora influence, as the eyes can be several colors including amber :)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s so pretty! I would describe her as a white Domestic Longhair. I don’t really see any Turkish Angora in her, though. Besides them being very rare outside of Turkey, Turkish Angoras have a more triangular face with a more pronounced muzzle, bigger ears, and a finer, more silky fur texture, where lovely Tootsie is more wooly. You could get her DNA tested, if you want to know for sure, though!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi abyeb abyeb .. the fact is that DNA tests do not give a definite "for sure" result for the majority of cats. Almost all cats will get a very inconclusive and vague result from a DNA test.

With a kitty like this, she doesn't have the structure of a purebred Turkish Angora, so we can be pretty confident that she is not going to come up as a "for sure" purebred Turkish Angora on any DNA test. Even if she has some Turkish Angora ancestry (which is not likely, but theoretically possible), there is no DNA test that gives a conclusive "for sure" result about mixed ancestry. UC Davis doesn't report low probability matches at all, and Basepaws reports a mishmash of low probability matches, but none of those matches are "for sure."

Last edited by a moderator:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also it is very hard to go by their personality to determine what breeds they might resemble because so much of that is a result of how they are raised and their experiences with humans and other cats. The vast majority of cats in the world are mixed breeds who display some characteristics of various actual breeds.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The head shape could easily sit on a british... But the fur lengh is the unsafe factor here. Most britts are shorthairs, even if there are some longhairs.