Is She A Smoke Ghost Tabby?

jopua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So according to my friend (who got my cat from a friend's accidental litter) my little Luci is a mix between a Himalayan and a Russian Blue (whose eyes from the one picture I saw wasn't green so I'm not sure)

Anyways, has anyone ever had experience with this kind of mix before? Is her hair going to grow out? She's 9 months now, and I'm wondering if this is her "final form." Does this mix end up as a medium sized cat or a big one?

My cousin has a mix between a russian blue and a persian and he's super fluffy, so i was wondering if Luci was gonna end up that way as well.

Also, I thought she was a solid black, until she had to be shaved a bit for her spaying and we saw she's grey underneath. And as the months went by, some tiger stripes became more apparent? Is she a Smoke Ghost Tabby? How would you describe her? Does she actually look like a cross between a Russian Blue and a Himalayan? What does she look like?

She kinda looks different from picture to picture, so I'm having a hard time imagining how she'd end up. haha

20190913_073502.jpg 20190831_161458.jpg 20190830_083817.jpg 20190921_232038.jpg 20190923_084014.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think she's a black smoke. Very pretty! I don't know much about the genetics of smoke coloring. It is pretty common in Persians though (Himalayans are pointed Persians).

Yeah, at this point I think what you see is what you get. She's not going to change much. You might see some more development in her coat color. And her fur might get thicker for the winter, although she isn't longhaired. Most kittens from a longhaired/shorthaired pairing will be shorthaired.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jopua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do think she's a black smoke. Very pretty! I don't know much about the genetics of smoke coloring. It is pretty common in Persians though (Himalayans are pointed Persians).

Yeah, at this point I think what you see is what you get. She's not going to change much. You might see some more development in her coat color. And her fur might get thicker for the winter, although she isn't longhaired. Most kittens from a longhaired/shorthaired pairing will be shorthaired.
I didn't know it was common in Persians! Cool. Funnily enough, her mom and her dad aren't at all black. These are her parents!

I think she takes after her Dad? Or I dunno. I'm not sure as well if the Dad is a Russian Blue, or one of the breeds that look like one? Since his eyes aren't green?

Screenshot_20190927-115424_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20190927-115435_Instagram.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost cats are not any particular breed, and are also not mixtures of breeds. Do your cat's parents happen to have any evidence of specific breed ancestry, or did the owner just label them based on their color and hair length?

I would describe the father as a blue domestic shorthair, from his picture.

The mother looks in the picture like a seal lynx point domestic longhair (it's a little hard to tell without seeing the face better), but since your cat appears to be black smoke in color, then she would have to be a silver tabby point or smoke point. The mother looks like she might have a little Persian ancestry, but she doesn't look like a purebred Persian.

I would describe your beautiful cat as a black smoke domestic shorthair. I love black smoke, it's such a pretty color and so mysterious! We had a black smoke barn cat when I was a child.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jopua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Almost cats are not any particular breed, and are also not mixtures of breeds. Do your cat's parents happen to have any evidence of specific breed ancestry, or did the owner just label them based on their color and hair length?

I would describe the father as a blue domestic shorthair, from his picture.

The mother looks in the picture like a seal lynx point domestic longhair (it's a little hard to tell without seeing the face better), but since your cat appears to be black smoke in color, then she would have to be a silver tabby point or smoke point. The mother looks like she might have a little Persian ancestry, but she doesn't look like a purebred Persian.

I would describe your beautiful cat as a black smoke domestic shorthair. I love black smoke, it's such a pretty color and so mysterious! We had a black smoke barn cat when I was a child.
I was told the Mom was a Himalayan Lynx Point? I think the previous owners purchased the parents? Don't really have much info! For the dad, Blue Domestic shorthairs aren't often found in my country, so he might be a Russian Blue mix. Or a Russian Blue-esque?

I also read up that that Black Smoke cats aren't very common? But yeah, she's a beaut!

Hoslund0821

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So according to my friend (who got my cat from a friend's accidental litter) my little Luci is a mix between a Himalayan and a Russian Blue (whose eyes from the one picture I saw wasn't green so I'm not sure)

Anyways, has anyone ever had experience with this kind of mix before? Is her hair going to grow out? She's 9 months now, and I'm wondering if this is her "final form." Does this mix end up as a medium sized cat or a big one?

My cousin has a mix between a russian blue and a persian and he's super fluffy, so i was wondering if Luci was gonna end up that way as well.

Also, I thought she was a solid black, until she had to be shaved a bit for her spaying and we saw she's grey underneath. And as the months went by, some tiger stripes became more apparent? Is she a Smoke Ghost Tabby? How would you describe her? Does she actually look like a cross between a Russian Blue and a Himalayan? What does she look like?

She kinda looks different from picture to picture, so I'm having a hard time imagining how she'd end up. haha

View attachment 301538 View attachment 301539 View attachment 301540 View attachment 301541 View attachment 301543
Wow, how cute and unique! Those eyes are ultimate "puppy dog eyes" lol