Is She A Lynx Point Siamese? But She Has Bengal Spots?

DollfaceJessi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We love this beautiful stray mama we found. She's gorgeous and has piercing blue eyes. We're curious to her breed. She looks like a lynx point Siamese but she has spots on her like a Bengal. She had a litter of babies. 2 seem to be black to grey ombre. One is a tuxedo baby boy and then this little girl in the picture.

Attachments

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
She is gorgeous! She looks very much like my girl. I have always been told that her coloring is lynx point, but mine also has the same spots and I've always wondered about them. I think the spots can sometimes be found in tabby coloring too though, so I don't think they necessarily indicate Bengal.

Last edited:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spots are very common in the domestic tabby cat population. It means nothing towards Bengals specifically. Your cat could be called a lynx point domestic shorthair. Not likey to have much if any Siamese in her.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe mama cat and her pointed baby as seal lynx point domestic shorthairs. They are lovely! Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixes of breeds.

Lynx point cats can have any tabby pattern on the body: classic (blotched), mackerel, spotted, or ticked (agouti). In your cats, I would describe their tabby patterns as "broken mackerel," which means the mackerel tabby pattern is broken up into spots. Broken mackerel is a fairly common pattern in the domestic cat, and we can even see this pattern in the wild ancestor of our domestic cats, the African wild cat. It doesn't indicate ancestry from any "spotted breed." I'm not seeing Bengal influence in these cats.

As far as the other kittens in the litter, what do you mean by "black to grey ombre"? You could post pictures of those kittens, if you would like help describing their color.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree re pattern of momma, ie, seal lynx point domestic shorthair, the tabby is a broken mackerel. At first glance it seems like spots, but with a second glance I see its sooner broken mackerels. Some spots on tummy are common in tabby cats, so they arent no proof of being spotted nor having bengal ancestry...

She seems to have some white around her nose, right? If so, you can add with white in her description.
Why seal, ie black, in her description, when she isnt black at all? We look at the darkest parts of her point markings. They decide. The end of her tail is pitch black... Likewise the tabby M on the forebrow is blackish. So, seal. :)

The kittens dont seem to be any points. The father almost surely didnt carried any point gene.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens dont seem to be any points. The father almost surely didnt carried any point gene.
Oh, I thought the other picture was the little girl kitten she was talking about? Is it another picture of the mother?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, I thought the other picture was the little girl kitten she was talking about? Is it another picture of the mother?
I think so. There is a kitten curled toghether with the momma.
But if the second pic is a kitten, then the father is prob a non point but carrier of the point gene.