Is she a Bengal mix?

JR6655

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

This is our kitten Abby, we've had her for near three weeks now. I took her to her first vet check up and the vet mentioned she looks like she might have a bit of bengal in her. The kitten's mother is an outdoor cat and had met the mystery father on one of her excursions.

I was wondering what your thoughts were in regards to her fur patterns and colour as to whether she seems likely to be a bengal mix or not?

IMG20201113142537.jpg
IMG20201113135855.jpg
IMG20201030152121.jpg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
She's a gorgeous Domestic Shorthair (DSH) with a classic tabby pattern. That is one of the patterns that you see in Bengals, but it also occurs frequently in a number of other breeds including random bred cats. I don't see any features that are specific to Bengals. Of course, she's a kitten and may develop more distinct features as she matures.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, bengals whom are classic tabbies, have them typically in quite expressive marbels. So its the same gene, but nicely refined by selection with these marbled bengals.
Yours, very nice kitten, is nowhere near such marbles.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love tabbies! They are my favorite kind of cat! :heartshape:

When I was a kid, I always wanted to have a "tiger cat" but, since my father was a dog breeder, we weren't allowed to have cats because he always told us that the dogs would "eat" the cat. (I know, now, that it isn't necessarily true.)

When I moved away to go to college and got my own apartment, my first cat was a tabby. (A "tiger cat.")

To this day, I still have a soft spot for "tiger cats." ;)