Is royal canin pv wet cat food supposed to have this?

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my kitty was on natural balance venison diet. both dry and wet. but they discontinued the wet food. so my vet prescribed the royal canin venison wet food. im down to the last 2 cans i have of the natural balance so decided to get her used to the RC. but i noticed it has some stuff in it. is this supposed to be in the food?
btw, shes not liking it. still the same flavor but she wouldnt eat. and when it comes to wet food, she'll eat whatever but for some reason she wouldnt eat this

20200819_085155.jpg
20200819_085325.jpg

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's "supposed" to be there in that it's intentionally added but it's probably not something Cats should really be eating. The prescription foods are overpriced junk, often the ingredients are carb heavy and are as bad as the low end food like 9 lives or grocery store brands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shes on it cause she has food allergies. i contacted the company , sent them a photo. said they will be sending a replacement.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't need to feed prescription food for food allergies. It's ok to disagree with the vet :) Royal Canin is not a very good brand because it's full of junk fillers. Try one of these limited ingredient brands:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Cat Food - Limited Ingredient Diet - Kohapet
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food
Grain Free Wet Recipes - NutriSource Pet Foods (not exactly an LID food but some of the canned are novel protein)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
shes on it cause she has food allergies. i contacted the company , sent them a photo. said they will be sending a replacement.
Junk brands like royal canin or hill's are usually bad for food allergies, because you can't tell whether the allergy is from the meat source or from any of the junk fillers they are loaded with.

To add to the stuff that LTS3 LTS3 posted, Tiki Cat Food & Treats - Tiki Pets - Say Aloha to Real Food

Most of those can be found on chewy, except for rawz which only sells through small stores and doesn't deal with large retailers.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of those can be found on chewy, except for rawz which only sells through small stores and doesn't deal with large retailers.

Yes, Rawz only sells their food through authorized retailers. A list is here: RAWZ | Where to Buy

Sure, Amazon has Rawz food listed but they're all sold by third party sellers. The cost may not be any less than what a pet store or authorized online retailer charges.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
royal canin is the only brand that has venison with no other proteins. natural balance venison wet food was like that but they just had to discontinued it :angryfire: and im at to my last 2 cans. im so sad! should have of stocked up when i had the chance 😠
i think my next best option is tiki venison, it has beef but others also have chicken. so i might have to do that.
BTW i did the math and tiki is actually MORE expensive than rc venison. just great

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i might go with tiki or instinct.they're cheaper than the others. im on ssi otherwise price wouldnt matter to me
i havent tried another novel. vension was my 1st pick and got lucky. would trying another novel mess up her allergies? hate to change something doesnt work, then go back to venison, then she continues to throw up regardless

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats are ok with a variety of novel proteins. Maybe stick with venison for now and slowly introduce one new protein at a time to see if your cat has a reaction or not. A reaction may not show up right away so give it a new protein a couple of days or so.