Is Riley pouting?

galt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We ran out of cat food this morning, and Riley was meowing insistently. We gave him canned food, which we seldom give him because it smells, but he has eaten it before, so we dished up a bowl of it for him, and decided we would buy him more of his good food later that day. But a few minutes later, we found the bowl of food tipped upside-down, and Riley was covering it with paper-towels, which he had shredded when he played several days ago. Why did Riley do that? Was he angry that we hadn't given him his normal food?
So we gave him a bowl of milk instead, which he drank and then he was fine. Later that day we went to the store and bought his regular food, but when we gave a bowl of it to him, he did the same thing! He tipped it upside down and covered it with the shredded paper towels! What is he doing? Is he mad at us?

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehehe - sorry I don't have any advice, but I think that's really cute and funny!! Sorry...

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat does that from time to time as well. My understanding was that he was covering it over so he could eat it later. Be careful though my cat (also named Reilly) dragged my sweater across the room and covered his food with it.

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

My cat does that from time to time as well. My understanding was that he was covering it over so he could eat it later. Be careful though my cat (also named Reilly) dragged my sweater across the room and covered his food with it.
I agree! My cats do it all the time. They just don't want it right now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

galt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your replies! That is really interesting that your cats did the same thing as Riley, to save their food for later! I though Riley was just pouting because he was hungry, but what you all said makes sense -- he was just saving it for later because he thought his food could run out! Thanks so much!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ye,s i understand now that they are just saving it for later. Big cats in the wild cover leftover food to save it for another time when they are hungry too.
When Toby first started raking his paws over his food it looked like when he covers stuff in his litter box...and I thought he was trying to tell me that he thought it stunk like poo!
Linda

galt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
KitEkats4Eva, I was just looking at your sig, and the picture of your dog looks just like my dog, Maggie! Is your dog a Newfoundland Duck Tolling Retriever, too? She looks really cute.

thewxkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HAhaha! My Riley covers up his litterbox, sometimes with plastic bags, sometimes with my clothes! Be lucky its only his food your Riley is covering!

anya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat shadow sometimes tries to cover up his food. Especially if its food he really really likes.

galt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
KitEkats4eva,
Your dog looks just like my Maggie! Is Ruby a Newfoundland Duck Tolling Retriever also?