Is Purina Friskies Still Safe?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a popular Facebook page that is saying that the Friskies wet food is making cats sick or causing them to die. I know it's not the best choice in food but for many of us it's all we can afford. They're saying the ones with the lids that are doubled stamped and/or has a pink line on it are fatal. Also only thing my cats will eat. I'm scared and crying now.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
People on facebook can be overly dramatic about things; especially on a page that specifically is there for complaints. I found the post you saw and they are saying their cat got sick after eating it. They don't mention if their cat has allergies, was already sick, overate or was exposed to anything else. There may be a real problem and Friskies has had real problems in the past. However, it is up to the consumer to identify a real problem from fearmongering.

Check the real Friskies site for recalls. If you are concerned, don't feed that specific flavor that expired in October 2020 but really that is your choice if you want to be overly cautious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
According to this site it's just a rumour and there is no truth in it at all.

Friskies Cat Food Recall History

So, long story short: The rumors around a 2019 Friskies cat food recall are just that — rumors. Take those rumors with a grain of salt, as you should with pretty much anything you see on social media these days.
Thank you. That's true though. I think it's the same chance with any pet food recall. It's a shame that people have to fear monger like that though

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
People post all kinds of crazy stories on the internet.

;)
That's true too. But don't we know if it's on the internet it has to be true? Thank you for the reassurance btw. I'm sure if something was off about the food the cats wouldn't eat it. BTW: I signed up for that newsletter for pet food recalls while I was there.

Last edited:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's also good to check if it's a local rumor. Sometimes the food has nothing new or wrong with it but one local distributor does something wrong to store it and they go bad. I once changed the online store I shopped from for my dog because of this. My dog would always walk away from the same food I got from them. They were original but I guess they didn't store it right. Maybe they stored it in a too hot room.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It's also good to check if it's a local rumor. Sometimes the food has nothing new or wrong with it but one local distributor does something wrong to store it and they go bad. I once changed the online store I shopped from for my dog because of this. My dog would always walk away from the same food I got from them. They were original but I guess they didn't store it right. Maybe they stored it in a too hot room.
Where do you look to see if it's a local rumor?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
If Friskies were deadly my two would be long gone, they eat two cans a day and have so for the past year and half.
Thank you. It irritates me that people go online and start fear mongering. And I'm so careful about all of this I wanted to make sure so wanted to ask in here for clarification.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The news of the past fatal recalls did spread online first. . .so I'm always at least a little nervous when news like that spreads. But there are more false rumors than true ones. And one brand isn't any riskier than the others.

witty deb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not seen any actual data suggesting Friskies wet cat food is bad, however---I have noticed that in the last 6 months, my cats don't seem to like it anymore. They will actually leave most of the meat portion (if I buy a Gravy formula) on their plate, only licking away the gravy, eating none of the meaty chunks. I feed 30 cats, and I certainly don't want them to be sick, nor do I want to waste money buying something they won't eat. I don't think there's any fear mongering involved, pet owners need to look out for themselves, companies are going to wait for proof until they do something about it, consumers are the ones who will have to pay for that proof, and possibly the lives of their pets. It's not like we haven't lived through this situation once already.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I feed, have been feeding, Friskies to the TNRed ferals who have no contact with me....they eat in the back of my property, usually without me knowing if they come or go. Once a week I write down the names of everyone I see, sort of a roll call to make sure they are all accounted for, and no one has gone missing. I am not even picky about which Friskies I feed them.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea my cats still like the Friskies, but this Facebook page claims that Purina is refusing to recall food that is killing cats. That imo is fear mongering. Saying something like "My cats don't like Friskies anymore, or are vomiting when eating" is not. My opinion. Maybe these people have been feeding the same flavor food every day. I know for myself if I ate steak every day I would probably puke after awhile because I got tired of the same old thing time and again.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I would first ask where I read the humor, that where they bought their products from and where they live
I read this on Facebook. And this is posted from people living in all the states. But like Norachan mentioned above, it seems to be a group of anti Purina people. Stating that a cat vomited from the food is one thing. Maybe the cat developed an allergy and all. But stating that cats are dying all over the world eating it is fear mongering. Also claiming that Purina is refusing to recall and admits to knowing the food is tainted is fear mongering. I would think Purina would have to legally recall the food if it was bad or face a ton of lawsuits from pet owners?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read this on Facebook. And this is posted from people living in all the states. But like Norachan mentioned above, it seems to be a group of anti Purina people. Stating that a cat vomited from the food is one thing. Maybe the cat developed an allergy and all. But stating that cats are dying all over the world eating it is fear mongering. Also claiming that Purina is refusing to recall and admits to knowing the food is tainted is fear mongering. I would think Purina would have to legally recall the food if it was bad or face a ton of lawsuits from pet owners?
That makes absolutely no sense anyway as I believe not all Friskies are produced at the same place. They are popular in Turkey too. Not only all pet stores have them but also regular supermarkets that only carry like 2-3 different cat foods also have Friskies. If there was so wrong with the food everyone in the world would hear it with how many cats eat them.

krba201076

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is not the fanciest of foods but it has been around for years. A lot of people/pets depend on Purina. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't like when people start these rumors. Everyone cannot afford the fancy stuff and they are freaking people out who are doing the best they can by their pets.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a popular Facebook page that is saying that the Friskies wet food is making cats sick or causing them to die. I know it's not the best choice in food but for many of us it's all we can afford. They're saying the ones with the lids that are doubled stamped and/or has a pink line on it are fatal. Also only thing my cats will eat. I'm scared and crying now.
There's a reason why I call it Fakebook. While Friskies is not the best food in the world, it's also not the worst by any stretch. Lots of cats have thrived on it for years. I'm sorry it upset you. :hugs: