Is Piper in Heat?

feralfamilyofpi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,  Ok, so I'll try to make this as short as possible.  Piper, one of my female ferals has still not been spayed.  I tried trapping previously with no success.  Due to ongoing urgent medical care for 3 of my own animals, (cat, dog and bird) I had to give up for a while.  So, Piper and two of her feral babies disapeared for aproximately 4 days.  They have never missed feeding times and I was so sure something horrible had become of them.  I was so distraught.  Then night before last Piper and Little Panda came back!  I was so extremely happy to see them, except that Little still is no where to be found.  I am so very worried!  He was becomming very sweet and almost tame too.  The thing is, Panda, Pipers baby is acting soooo loving to Piper.  Rubbing up against her and purring really loud.  He will not leave her alone.  She is actually getting a little annoyed with thim.  He has always kept his distance from me.  Never let me touch him.  But with this new attitude with his mom, because she loves me to pet her he actually comes close enough for me to pet him also as long as he is right next to his mom!  So my obvious question is.  Is Piper in heat?  Do male cats become extremely lovey dovey with the cat in heat?  Even their mother?  Do you think Panda chased Little away even though they are siblings?  And I know.  I am planing to trap Piper and Panda as soon as possible as I realize this is becomming urgent,  (hopefully Monday, depending on my dog's vet bill tomorrow) to get spayed and neutered. Hopefully Little will come back as well and I can get him done too. P.S. I believe Panda is about 7 months old.

I am wishing and praying for everybody's ferals to be safe and warm in this extremely cold weather!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is likely she's in heat (early January is start of mating season), but I can't guarantee that's why her sonis being affectionate. Cats sometimes won't mate with a cat they raised or grew up with, unless they don't have a choice (being the only 2 cats in the house/area/etc.), so she may not let him mate with her. The dominant toms usually get to her before she gets too far in heat anyway. Better catch them soon! Good trapping :vibes:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She probably is in heat.  I am not sure about Panda's behavior, but I wouldn't take any chances.

Vibes for your trapping plans (and financial issues).  Hopefully you get both of them soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralfamilyofpi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Willowy and Ondinee!  Yes, I think you both are right, there was alot of male cat spray smell in the area last night!  So I'm gearing up for an appoint. on Monday, (Sunday night to trap).  Thank you for the vibes, I need them!  :)

feralfamilyofpi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't been able to trap piper yet but I just got Panda! Appoint in am . He is in trap in garage with a blanket over trap so he will stay quiet. Is it ok to leave blanket covering all night? He can breathe? It's a light blanket. I feel so bad for him I am shaking! He trusted me !

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's what I hate about trapping.  But good for you.  He will be fine.

I know its probably too late now but leaving the blanket is better.  It gives him a sense of safety and quiet.  Good luck at the vet!

feralfamilyofpi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Ondine! Thank you I did leave the Blanket on and he stayed quiet. He is at the vet now. Will pick him up in a few hours. What a good brave boy he has been so far! I am soo proud of him!

feralfamilyofpi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Isn't he ? Lol I just love him so much! Well I love all of them so much of course. :) I like to Kidd that he is part Siamese part raccoon and part Pi . His eyes are blue blue so pretty!

feralfamilyofpi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is mom and him together they look nothing alike! All of the babies are so different looking! But the nose! There are at least 4 descendants with that nose. Omg he does look like a Snowshoe! I have never heard if one before.

feralfamilyofpi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe :) I have seen a big Siamese only twice ever hanging around. I thought he might have has something to do with it . I like the idea of snowshoe in his linage. So he is back all tucked in for the night. Everything went well. He is very quiet. Such a good boy ! Hasn't touched his food yet. I will check him again soon. Release him in the morning.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Per catster.com:

"The Snowshoe was developed by Philadelphia breeder Dorothy Hinds-Daugherty in the early 1960s. She crossed a bicolor American Shorthair with a Siamese, and the result was a sturdy, pointed cat with white markings on the face, chest and feet. Another breeder, Vikki Olander, wrote a standard for the new cat and pressed for its recognition, which was achieved in 1974. The American Cat Association (ACA) was the first to recognize the Snowshoe as a breed."

So the Siamese may very well be daddy...

feralfamilyofpi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ha! I thought so! Thank you for the info!

So Panda did super good last night. By this morning he was so wanting out of there! The first sounds I heard him make throughout this Whole ordeal. Cried when he saw me until I let him out. Poor baby! When I released him he went right out but did not run real fast. Went across the street looking for Piper I think. He is so attached to his mum! I am hoping to see him tonight that he has found his mom and that he is not mad at me.