Is People food really bad???

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard that about cats not likeing sweet food.
That maybe true from some cats, but it sure isn't true for mine.
Salty, sweet, sour...it makes no difference.
If I sat it down in front of them, they'd eat it.
But then again they are little piggys

I don't make a habit of feeding them people food, but every once in awhile I give it to them for a treat.

lucylastic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
could someone tell me why people tuna is bad for cats,even the low salt kind?my Sheba will eat mashed peas, carrots and turnip to when theres any left

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lucylastic

could someone tell me why people tuna is bad for cats,even the low salt kind?my Sheba will eat mashed peas, carrots and turnip to when theres any left
Human tuna can cause a vitamin deciency in a cat .... tuna cat food has added vitamins to alleviate this problem

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My baby loves butter and cheese. I cannot eat anything with a cheese sauce like Mac & Cheese or Alfredo with her jumping on me to get at it. I got her some kitty milk for her dairy cravings. She will eat a little cooked chicken breast (I always cook one plain for her just in case, and use the rest for chicken salad, etc.) but only if it is warm.

However, she has to absolutely sample ANYTHING in a glass - I have learned never, ever to leave a glass unattended in this house. She has gone after soda, coffee, ice tea, apple cider, milk (of course), wine and last night, my orange juice. She wil sniff and take a few tiny sips but always manages to leave cat hair in it - ewww. I literally cannot have a "glass" of water or it is hers - I have to drink out of bottles and keep the lids screwed on between drinks.

mortal888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have one cat that will eat anything and another that won't eat any people food with the exception of Frappuccino Ice pops. If I eat one of those, he gets to lick the other end while I eat the top.

Odd cat.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I had a cat that loved tomato sauce on anything, .
My mikey is a big pizza fan...will come on your lap on paw your hand with the pizza in it toward him...
Oh and he loves Icecream. So for Christmas Mikey made out a list and he made sure to write pizza and icecream right below Catnip.

missysmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Missy use to like trying to eat ice cream too.....lol but i only let her have it once and awhile, and only a lick or two

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forget-Me-Not

However, she has to absolutely sample ANYTHING in a glass - I have learned never, ever to leave a glass unattended in this house. She has gone after soda, coffee, ice tea, apple cider, milk (of course), wine and last night, my orange juice. She wil sniff and take a few tiny sips but always manages to leave cat hair in it - ewww. I literally cannot have a "glass" of water or it is hers - I have to drink out of bottles and keep the lids screwed on between drinks.
Yup, sounds like Pepper. Doesn't matter what it is, if it's in a glass I have to make sure that he doesn't see it. I was actually horrified to see him sticking his paw in my glass of iced tea one day---yup, you guessed it, he had just been in the litter box!! Needless to say, I got a new glass and now usually drink out of bottles with screw-on lids. We learned the hardway that just because its a bottle, doesn't mean that he won't get a drink out of it. He just tips them over!

mauld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the past 25 years, we've had 2 groupings of cats. The first group consisted of 5 that lived to the ripe old ages of between 18-23 years. They all LOVED people food, any kind, type etc-- including onions, jars of infant Gerber baby food, veggies, chips and of course whipped cream, ice cream and other milk products.... The 3 we have now (oldest being 5 currently), -- (with one exception), will only eat cat food canned or dry. The one exception is Mimi who loves deli ham and shrimp/lobster. But aside from that, they turn up their noses at our offerings of chicken, raw turkey, cream etc. Not sure the reason for this, but if it keeps their weight down, so much the better.

(PS- both groups were totally indoor cats, that we'd had since their infancy, and the eating of 'people food' didn't appear to do any harm to them).

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo insisted on eating some mozzarella cheese that I had once. She would NOT get off the table, would NOT take her head out of the bag of cheese, and WOULD NOT go away til she got some. Later that evening she was sick. No more cheese for either of us I said.
I believe her previous owners fed her a lot of tuna since she loves the Solid Gold Blended Tuna that I gave her for Thanksgiving.

She's the only animal I've ever seen sleep twelve inches from two huge platters of turkey and not ask for anything. Today she asked for COLD turkey. Maybe she was affected by the warmth of the apartment. Anyway, she got two teeny bits (fingernail size) in honor of Thanksgiving.

Gizmo likes sweets. She will let me use the Logic toothpaste because it is sweet (one of her vets had a taste to see what it was like. I would not dare.)

But the toothpaste is the only sweet she is going to get.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am truly a supporter of those who feed raw diets to their cats...I believe it's biologically appropriate, and what is nutritionally the best option for cats. However, I don't feed raw...my cats live happily on their kibble. I don't give them any people food, INTENTIONALLY. Now I know there are some morsels here and there that are safe and healthy for cats in moderation, I just don't do it...I feel better sticking to their regular meals alone.

That being said, Fergus has discovered the joys of dipping a furry white toe in a mug of warm hot chocolate, and lapping it off his feet. I don't let him do this...he'll do it if I leave a mug laying around for a minute. And Ripley likes a sliver or tuna now and again when I'm making tuna salad sandwiches. Captain Steuben would eat ANYTHING if you let him, but he isn't allowed to. My childhood Siamese cat, Simon, had some wierd people-food antics. My mom used to keep a cookie jar of Oreos on our kitchen counter, and Simon at some point would knock the lid off, and could be seen galloping at light speed down the hallway with an Oreo in his mouth. It was kind of a fetish, and it was pretty funny.