Is our cat normal?

trenzalore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay the story of how we got our little feline friend is pretty sad but has a happy-ish ending. In our neighborhood there seems to be an abundance of stray cats running around. Well one of them ended up having kittens and of course all the kids ( mine included ) loved the adorable little fuzz balls. Sadly most of their parents didn't so they were not allowed to have one. ( Ours included ) Until one afternoon my daughters came running in screaming that a neighbor was killing the kittens and cats. We ran over to where he was and yup, the neighbor was killing them. He had a bat and had bashed all but one little kitten ( ours ) he got one hit on the little guy before I was able to jump in an and grab him. We rushed him to the vet and he said he should be fine ( after extensive examinations of course ) and the neighbor that did it was arrested for animal cruelty. I personally think throwing in a charge of stupid in public would be nice but apparently that is not a crime. Okay the kitten that we named Gallifrey was about 6 weeks old when we got him and is now about 5 months. I have no clue what kind of cat he is but he is orange with thin white stripes. Anyway his behavior has us curious. When he meows its not like most cats I have ever seen, its cracked. He goes nuts for no reason whatsoever and will go from sitting there to flying around the house like a bat of Michigan and meows constantly at everything. If one of us goes to the bathroom, he will sit outside the bathroom and stare quietly at the door until we come out. If you are sitting there doing whatever, he will sneak up and bite your hand ( not too hard, no blood has been drawn ) but when you say OW, he will lick your hand.  He attacks the wall and often runs head first into it. Also he eats the dogs food more than his own.

Is any of this normal? Do you think the attempted murder when he was younger made him loopy? We love him and think he's fantastic but we just want to know. Oh and he loves to attack my wife's toes when she sleeps. That's just funny though.

Last edited by a moderator:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Quite normal behavior. The sudden dashes, the meowing, the pouncing are what a kitten by instinct teaches himself to hunt. You will have to train him on what is undesirable behavior (like biting)  now that he is still young. Just say no, or hiss. 

Bless you for saving his life and giving him a loving home! 

smittendakittn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh no they didn't! glad you saved the little one and karma will in deed come back to that neighbor bad karma killing an animal Any animal (few choice words) grrrr. Breaks my heart to read that but yeah the cat is being a cat we had all three cats fall off a balconey two stories all fine but they run after imaginary things back and forth we lay out a few toys and they play with those so get your special guy a new toy or an old one out and he should be fine

wolflover326

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds pretty normal to me! I have four fur babies, and three of them (my Three Stooges, I call them) always want in the bathroom when I'm using it. If Bella doesn't get in, she meows at the door until I open it. I don't know what the appeal is to cats being in the bathroom with us, but all of mine have done it at one time or another. Sometimes, they don't care. Other times, it's like they will die unless they get in with me.

At 5 months old, his play activity seems pretty normal, too. Three of my four kitties are super hyper, and they go from chilling out in the living room, to racing and chasing each other around the house. His nipping might be his way of trying to get you to join in on his play, as I've seen one of my girls do it to the other to get her up and going. I would get some toys (wands, chirping mice, balls, etc) to play with him. You can form a very strong bond with your kitty through the simple act of playing with him. :-)