Is Nuts sick?

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since Maude has crossed the RB Nuts has been very vocal. This is a cat that never really meowed and I thought he couldn't until Attitude went into heat and I found out he can howl as well. He is constantly meowing especially when I'm on the computer, he quiets down if I pet him. Well I was watching Mythbusters that I had DVR'd and he started meowing and then he yowled. He was in the kitchen so I paused Mythbusters and went in and got him. I picked him up and he quieted down. He was purring, not sure if he was before I picked him up. He was fine when I was giving him attention. I just got on the computer and he is at it again. It's almost like a kind of whiny meow. He's now laying in the hall and did it a few more more times. He's currently talking back to me because I keep telling him not to get on the counter(which he knows isn't allowed but he's been doing it for days, really annoying.)

Is he sick, is he trying to call Maude, is he lonely and wants attention, he has food and water and he doesn't seem interested in either. When he does it to Paul he feeds him thinking he's hungry and sometimes he'll eat. He's now doing a yowling loud meow. He just went to the door, jumped up on two paws sniffed and has walked off(he's inside only he doesn't want to go out.) I think something is out there. He just got quiet, never mind I hear him meowing again. The only unspayed female we have is Half-tail(she goes in April 7 to get spayed) and I think she might be pregnant and I don't think she could be in heat, I'm pretty sure all 3 outside males nailed her, I know Goldie Jr did, I watched that.

I really can't spend money to take him to the vet. I leave Sat to go to Disney World with Bobby and my parents so I need the money I have to spend there(my kid takes priority when it comes to money over Nuts, unless this is a dire thing.) Like I said he has been vocal since Maude crossed the RB but he has never yowled before(except when Attitude was in heat. That got corrected the next day when I spayed her.) Ok he just quieted down again. Now he's on two paws meowing at my chair. No he's on the desk walking back and forth and now seems really interested in my bikini(I'm thin so yes I can wear one and look good.)

Like I said except for the yowling he has been like this since Maude died. It can happen at any time of day, like I said it's mostly when I'm on the computer but can happen while Paul and I are watching TV. Like I said I don't know if it's due to Maude's death or something else. He doesn't act sick, he's still eating, drinking, using the litter box and chasing and play fighting with Attitude and still being an annoying PITA(and yes I'm saying it in a loving way, I wouldn't change his personality if I could) by repeatedly jumping on the counter when he knows that not allowed and in general like always. Basically he is acting like he always has and shows no signs of illness at all.

This is really kind of annoying. It doesn't bother me, it's just kind of annoying(in the same way a child crying for no reason for a long period of time or throwing a tantrum can be annoying.) Been there, done that with crying for no reason and tantrums with Bobby(my 7 year old son), it's annoying but I can deal with it.

Should I call the vet? He really doesn't seem like he's in pain, it's the same kind of whiny meow I've been hearing for almost a month.

Now he's laying next to my chair and is quiet. I just don't get it.

He just got into his bed and went to sleep about 10 ins ago and is peacefully sleeping. I also wanted to add that he seemed to sense/know that Maude was sick, he was being nice to her(normally he seemed to like antagonizing her) and I think groomed her face. He did go into the bathroom almost to like check on her. I know he noticed she didn't hiss at him(she really didn't seem to like him, but she didn't mind Attitude, she'd let her sleep against her back) or try to whack him with her paw like normal.

Taryn

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could be grieving - but I really think you need to at least call your current vet - you really won't know if it's a 'dire' thing without professional care.

Also, and I know this will sound rude - I've been to Disney - believe me, the price of a vet visit will be less than even one sit-down meal there - just for one person, let a lone a family.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

He could be grieving - but I really think you need to at least call your current vet - you really won't know if it's a 'dire' thing without professional care.

Also, and I know this will sound rude - I've been to Disney - believe me, the price of a vet visit will be less than even one sit-down meal there - just for one person, let a lone a family.
Agreed with

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I owe my parents $250 already for the tickets(and they expect to be paid and soon), not to mention I'll be using my child support for a vet visit(as I said I am personally short on cash) and my mom knows what I get so if it doesn't add up(like I run short on cash) I'm in deep crap and frankly I will go insane if I have to spend time with my mom bitching at me about my child support amount not being right(I rarely get out of the vet's without spending $100, large amount to be missing for what I get for child support.) Not to mention I need this money to spend at Disney for my child.

Like I said this started right after Maude died. I have noticed that he's been sleeping in Maude's bed.

I don't know what the hell to do. I'm basically screwed either way. I take Nuts to the vet and it's nothing and then my parents find out the amount of money I have on my child support card and I'm hearing it. I don't take him and I feel guilty. Great position to be in and I just checked my card and I have zero wiggle room. I am normally not in this position but right now I am. I really think he's grieving the more I think about it but then I worry it might be something else but I have zero wiggle room on my card. I also just received a payment so I'm not going to be able to cover for it by receiving another payment before then. If he wasn't otherwise being so normal I just don't know what I'm supposed to do, I don't think you get it, this money is supposed to be spent on my son, I have a set amount on a card, I can't fake this amount. I don't have a credit card that I can just charge this to and worry about later, if I spend it it's gone and then Bobby loses out. My vet doesn't take care credit for amounts under $750, I'm just sunk.

Hopefully he's just grieving or I'm going to have some serious guilt going on. Go ahead and lay it on me thick, I'm a bad person for not taking him to the vet over an issues he's had for a month and is otherwise acting totally normal. The yowling had me worried but that was explained by him going to the door, there was something he wanted at out there and I'm assuming by the noise he made it was a female in heat. I'm sorry but my child comes before Nuts and in this case Nuts is going to lose out. I don't have much left anyways after I pay my parents so I really can't use it on a vet visit. It doesn't matter if it is less than a sit down dinner at Disney it's the difference between my son having a good time or him having a crappy time because I can't afford to even get him the stupid ears with his name written on them that he has wanted ever since he saw mine. It's that tight, I can't afford a hat if I take Nuts to the vet. Maybe that sounds like a fair trade to you but you're not 7 years old and you(as the parent) don't have to explain that you don't have the money (especially when my parents know I should, not to mention my MIL being there and going to my ex about the discrepancy on what I should have and what I actually did, and that can cause me LEGAL issues if they review my charges, a vet clinic does not qualify as something you pay for with child support) or deal with a 7 year old's disappointment. He doesn't care that I had to spend it on the cat, he cares that he didn't get the mouse ears with his name on them that I PROMISED him he'd get. I'm not willing to break a promise to Bobby for anything. Any parent should understand that.

Taryn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If a trip to Disneyland comes before your cats health... PLEASE rehome your animals ... If your parents are that into your finances you likely are not able to handle the responsibility finacially for an animal at this point.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taryn, you do what you want to do, but it sounds to me that it is not time for Disneyland either. AT ALL. Regardless of your kitty's situation. And yes, it is part of parenting, to explain to the kid that you don't have the money to do certain things. Absolutely... God, your parents never told you you could not have something because they were short on money? Mine did... Thank goodness! You don't want to hear from your mother or the inlaws? Send your kid with them to Disney, and stay back. You do not need to go. You don't have the means to go to Disney, don't go. Parent support is parent support, but it sounds to me things are not very good financially over there (putting it lightly) and there are more important things to do. Disney is certainly nice, but not essential when you are on survival mode.
Also, let's make something clear here: You are not prioritizing your child over your cat - that would be if you were denying your child medical care. But Disneyland? It is not even on the same category. Furthermore, it is not even disneyland, it is as you said, the the ear hat with his name on it - put a couple of slices of pizza and coke - you got your vet visit. If Nuts is not worth that for you, then there is something very wrong in that picture.
I have seen your posts here chastising people for not taking their pets to the vet because of much more serious choices they had to make than this. So... I would not expect much support from this post...

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the thing. If your mother thinks she has the right to control your finances because she is helping you take your son, HER GRANDSON, on vacation...well...I'd better not go there.

But...the way I see it, you took Nuts in and have a responsibility to him. You don't want to deal with your mother nagging, but how will you feel about yourself if you come home to a very sick or dead cat, because you didn't take him to the vet.

yes, he could very well be grieving for the loss of Maud. But grieving causes stress, and stress causes illness.

Won't you spend your vacation worrying about him? Wouldn't you feel better knowing for sure whether he is ill?

Unusual vocalizations can be caused by many different things. It could be he's looking for Maud.

But it could be he's developing hyperthyroid disease, or he's got high blood pressure, both of those things are very serious if left untreated. Stroke being the usual result. How old is Nuts?

I don't want to seem unsympathetic to your situation, but Nuts needs to see the vet, regardless of what your mother thinks. Leaving it until you get back, or until you pay your mother back, is not an option, in my opinion.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nuts is 9 months old.

I normally have the money to take them to the vet. My parents poke into my business way too much. I'm 31 so I'm not some stupid kid, my parents just like to open my mail(I'm forced to live with them since I have been looking for a job for over a year at this point.) This is the first time I have been caught like this. Both are fully vaccinated, Attitude is spayed(I'll get Nuts done if Attitude ever quits eating all the money I am trying to save to get Nuts neutered) in the past month I have spent over $200 on vet bills for Attitude so yeah, I'm a little short at the moment.

It's not that Disney World is more important than Nuts's health. This has been planned, we already have the tickets and even if I back out now I still have to pay my parents the $250.

I am calling the vet right now to see if they can see Nuts now and let me pay later. I have $10 to my name to pay towards my bill. Nope, they flat out refuse to see him if I can't pay now.

I think I need to explain this better, I don't have the money Mickey Mouse ears or not once I pay my parents and they expect the money NOW.

I never expected to be in this position. I have no choice in this, everything has already been set and I'm in this financially whether I go or not at this point.

Taryn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dumb question but Have you Talked with your parents? Cancelling tickets or changing them is 90% of the time an option...

Your cats and child are your resposibilty but right now you are your parents responsibility as are they. And do to that it may be time for you to think about the fact that you seem to Not currently be in a position to care for these animals. I have been out of work for well over a year also yet I have found a way to pay well over 3000$ in vet bills. I have not gone on a vacation not related to my mothers death in over two years.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard, and I'm sure you're breaking your heart about being in this situation. And, yes, with nonrefundable tickets, you are pretty much stuck - it's not like the money would be available if you cancel.

If it was just a simple case of hey, eat at a Disney restaurant or go to the vet, I'd say pack a bag lunch at the hotel for Disney and go to the vet. But, it's not as simple as that, right? To get those ticket prices, you probably planned this trip months ago, so truly you seemed stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. You're trying to do the budget stay at Disney and probably cut unnecessary purchases out of the budget already (don't worry - Disney will be fun even if you don't do all the fancy restaurants - I had a good time, although it would have been nice to do at least one 'good' restaurant).

Who's taking care of Nuts while you're gone? If he developed any other symptoms, would they get him to the vet right away? Will someone be there to talk and play with him at least a bit while you're gone? I'm worried that he'll get even more stressed out if he thinks his family has disappeared the way Maude did. But maybe if you can get someone to keep an eye on him and give a lot of attention, that might help.

This may sound silly - have you told Nuts that Maude died, but that you love him very very much and you'll take care of him no matter what?

PS - I book a lot of travel for my employers - a lot of time with nonrefundable budget tickets (and hotels), the air change fee is running $150 or so, plus whatever the change in fare may be, and some vacation hotels are really pushing the cancellation issue - quite a few business hotels in NY are how up to 48 hour notice - and in some vacation areas it's up to 72 hours, which is ridiculous IMO. Depending on the price of the ticket, changing and paying the fee truly puts you in the loss category.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
These are set in stone, there is no canceling there is no rescheduling.

Forget it. Paul will help me pay for it if I can't swing it(and I might be able to. I checked the balance again and I have $100 more than what I heard.) I don't know why I didn't ask him for help in the first place.

Taryn

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vacations? I remember those.

If your parents are opening your mail, get a post office box. You are 31 and are now on equal terms with your parents. You are not a child anymore.

I just called my vet to confirm...they take Care Credit for anything from a seven dollar bottle of antibiotics to a 900.00 treatment. And you have the same amount of time to pay back the ten dollars as you do the 900.00...months.

So there you go, vet problem solved.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all vets take Carecredit, and every practice can set their own limits and procedures (I know - I just got Carecredit for my dentist, as I wanted to keep my credit card open for vet issues).

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you come home with a well cat and less stress on you. As Otto said, sometimes stress alone can lead to illnesses (like UTIs). And, why do these things always happen on weekends or when you're ready to go to the airport.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I hope you come home with a well cat and less stress on you. As Otto said, sometimes stress alone can lead to illnesses (like UTIs). And, why do these things always happen on weekends or when you're ready to go to the airport.
please tell us how it goes ... and I 100% agree on the p o box or like I did state the obvious to you but not your parents .. Your an adult and opening someones mail is actually a Federal offense

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taryn

He goes at 4 PM today.

Taryn
That's great Taryn, thanks for standing up for your baby!
While in there, discuss with your vet about him lowering his carecredit requirements!

Also, please don't be afraid os standing up to your parents! I am also unemployed for over a year, and I understand your situation well... Although thank goodness I don't live with mine
. But it is not because you do, that they own your life - not AT ALL.
You need to make that clear, and stand up for yourself; do not let them walk all over you, make them respect you... I know it is hard to keep our heads high at times like this... But you need to... for yourself, and your kid.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck at the vets, hopefully it is nothing serious. At least it would give you an answer so you aren't worrying about him (as much) while you are away.

My vet has minimums for carecredit (well the new Canadian equivalent) too and every vet in the city varies a lot too on their minimums for it.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Let me explain, my parents refuse to acknowledge Attitude and Nuts as my pets. They live with Paul as my dad is deathly allergic to cats.

I only moved here because of my divorce in 2006(moved in a month before my divorce was finalized.) Bobby and I lived in Dallas(well Irving) and they live in the St. Louis Metro east(O'Fallon, IL about 35 miles from St. Louis. Indianapolis, Indiana is closer to us than Chicago.)

The vet had to double book to get me in. This is going to be a close one. Bobby gets out of school across town at 3:30 so I'm going to have to get Nuts in his carrier go across town, get Bobby, drop Bobby off at home, he has homework so I won't even have to say where I'm going since my parents want him here and not at Paul's when he has homework(I have no say in raising my child, after all I'm only his mother) and then hurry across town to the vet's.

The vet practice only does Care Credit for over $750, they have it all over the office that they only do care credit for bills in excess of $750. Not to mention, not having a job they wouldn't approve me but that's besides the point.

He doesn't seem to be having pain in the litter box and as far as I know I haven't found any 'mystery' wet spots so I'm assuming he's not going outside the box. We also have 4 litter boxes so he has 4 choices as to which one he wants to use, but 3 are right next to each other in the kitchen(large kitchen, they are nowhere near food), one is supposed to go out to the outside cats but it's raining right now and I'm not losing a box(especially one I would have to put out while it's raining) to rain so they have an extra box at the moment until tomorrow at least. I'm already going to lose the one they have out there right now. Anyways he has plenty of litter box choices so I know he might not be missing as he can just choose a different box to use. He pooped today and I know he peed since he did it right before I cleaned the box he was in and he showed no signs of pain and he isn't blocked as he was able to go.

I really am worried about him. I think he's fine and he most likely is but I'd rather know for sure. This wasn't choosing between Disney World and my cat, the tickets are non refundable and even if I cancel the money isn't going to be there I still owe it. My parents are paying for food, and everything but souvenirs, so yes I really can't afford Disney World but my parents decided this was where they were taking Bobby for his spring break. I only got to go because I had an issue with them taking him without me(I guess they thought I just wouldn't care and wouldn't want to go with them.) Yes, the original plan was for me NOT to go.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'd rather know it's nothing than worry the entire time. Paul is taking care of them while I'm gone. (I can't board them even if I wanted to since they are leukemia positive.) So me leaving shouldn't be too stressful on them since they are staying in their normal environment with a person who lives there so they'll have more than enough attention from a very familiar person.

Taryn