Is my young lady Black Smoke?

Alltarredantaget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello :) i got a my little Roxy in november, she is born august 3d, im confused about her colour, her mom is a black shorthaired cat and the father is all black aswell but with norgweighan forest cat lines (longhair) , when she was little she had obvious black smoke colour (the pictures above are when she was small er and the lower ones are recent pictures, the 1th pic is from before i got her i guess she is 8-10 weeks or so in it) but as she grows it kinda dissapears 😅 or well its a little more brownish areas in sharp lightning but mostly she looks all black (the smoke when she was little was also more viewable in good lightning like in the pictures) so what do you guys think? Can a cat have the black smoke colour as a kitten then become all black as an adult? (i did find it quite odd that she even had smoke with both black parentes 🤔 although i love smoke 😍 love all black aswell so she will be a pretty Lady no matter wich ^^

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alltarredantaget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Worth mentioning: her fur is much shorter now also, like many longhaired cats are a bit fluffy as kitten then not so fluffy during the "teenage frase" then gets much more fluffy as adults, since she has the norgweighan forest cat breed in her maybe it has something to do with theyr kind of fur development

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's lovely! :redheartpump:

It's very common for longhaired black cats to have lighter colored undercoat hair, and lighter colored hair on the ruff and belly. This lighter colored hair can be brownish or grayish. Black cats also often have lighter sections of hair during kittenhood when the coat is developing.

A black smoke cat, on the other hand, has white hair roots all over the cat. You would be able to see these white roots by parting the hair. Each hair would have a white section at the base, and black section at the tip.

A black smoke cat is genetically a black cat, with one or two copies of the "inhibitor" gene. "Inhibitor" is dominant, so it's not possible for two solid black cats to produce a black smoke cat... unless one of the parents is really a black smoke themselves. Again, you would be able to tell by looking at the base of the hair.

In most of the pictures you posted, Roxy looks like a solid black longhaired cat with a typical lighter colored ruff. In the center picture on the bottom where she is looking up, the base of her hair looks somewhat white, but it's hard to say for sure. You would be able to get a better idea by parting the hairs and looking at the base of each hair.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In the pic right down corner, there is also another kitten. It seems to be some sort of a point with white. How old is this kitten, and what is the color of its eyes?
Anyways, a couple of good pics on this second kitten are also welcome.

Alltarredantaget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's lovely! :redheartpump:

It's very common for longhaired black cats to have lighter colored undercoat hair, and lighter colored hair on the ruff and belly. This lighter colored hair can be brownish or grayish. Black cats also often have lighter sections of hair during kittenhood when the coat is developing.

A black smoke cat, on the other hand, has white hair roots all over the cat. You would be able to see these white roots by parting the hair. Each hair would have a white section at the base, and black section at the tip.

A black smoke cat is genetically a black cat, with one or two copies of the "inhibitor" gene. "Inhibitor" is dominant, so it's not possible for two solid black cats to produce a black smoke cat... unless one of the parents is really a black smoke themselves. Again, you would be able to tell by looking at the base of the hair.

In most of the pictures you posted, Roxy looks like a solid black longhaired cat with a typical lighter colored ruff. In the center picture on the bottom where she is looking up, the base of her hair looks somewhat white, but it's hard to say for sure. You would be able to get a better idea by parting the hairs and looking at the base of each hair.
Hi thanx for the answers :) Roxy has grey roots but only under her shin (couldnt get a pic on the roots there cause she just wants to play right now 😆) but ill add other pictures, but the roots on the rest of the body are the same black/brownish as the tips so they aint lighter (she allowed me to get a pic of those atleast) 😆✌

Attachments

Alltarredantaget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the pic right down corner, there is also another kitten. It seems to be some sort of a point with white. How old is this kitten, and what is the color of its eyes?
Anyways, a couple of good pics on this second kitten are also welcome.
Roxy is 5 month old with yellow eyes :)
The second kitty is Luna, she is 1 year and 3 month old, 75% Ragdoll, tortie coloured with blue eyes 😊 ofcrs i can add some pictures of her too, Roxy became totaly obsessed with her 🥰 they are besties

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi thanx for the answers :) Roxy has grey roots but only under her shin (couldnt get a pic on the roots there cause she just wants to play right now 😆) but ill add other pictures, but the roots on the rest of the body are the same black/brownish as the tips so they aint lighter (she allowed me to get a pic of those atleast) 😆✌
Thanks for the pictures! That looks like normal hair roots for a solid black kitty. I understand about them wanting to play instead of take pictures :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Luna is gorgious! If she likes to be handled and dont mind people, try to show her in the Domestic class. She should make a carrieere there! Sverak has always such classes in its Swerak / Fife exhibitions.
I asked my questions, because some untypical colored points are not the usual siamese point type, but a combo of siamese and burmese point. These are often not blue eyed as adults. Its not that common, but we see this now and then, once I learned there is such an animal. :)

But Luna is not only a prettie, on the next photos we do see she is a perfectly colored point of the siamese type. So my questions were irrelevant today. :)
But Im glad I asked for her photos!

ps. It happens black/ dark cats have a whitish mane. Its often especially visible on longhair cats. But apparently this may happen on shorthairs too, as here.

Alltarredantaget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Luna is gorgious! If she likes to be handled and dont mind people, try to show her in the Domestic class. She should make a carrieere there! Sverak has always such classes in its Swerak / Fife exhibitions.
I asked my questions, because some untypical colored points are not the usual siamese point type, but a combo of siamese and burmese point. These are often not blue eyed as adults. Its not that common, but we see this now and then, once I learned there is such an animal. :)

But Luna is not only a prettie, on the next photos we do see she is a perfectly colored point of the siamese type. So my questions were irrelevant today. :)
But Im glad I asked for her photos!

ps. It happens black/ dark cats have a whitish mane. Its often especially visible on longhair cats. But apparently this may happen on shorthairs too, as here.
Luna is easily handled and pretty tough although i live in karlskoga (i guess you are from sweden since you mentioned sverak) so i dont think she would appreciatee sush a long drive if its held only in Stockholm area, but thank you for the lovely words and also info on her uncommon colour, her mommy is a ragdoll/bondkatt (if i recall) she was long haired regular turtle colour so she didnt look so ragdoll ish, and her father is a flame coloured ragdoll and i think he has blue eyes, he was a 100% ragdoll so, she got her appearance from the fathers genes :) idk if the parentes have "stamtavlor" 😅 i was just looking for a cute friend for my beloved Teddy when the other cats had recently passed due of old age, he unfortinetly passed aswell (these past 2 years has been some really heartbreaking years😢) , so then i got Roxy so Luna could have a kitty friend since i noticed with Teddy she is in much need of a kitty friend to play and snuggle with. Roxy though is a longhair or semilonghair she has norgweighan forest cat in her so she will fluff it up with time :) Luna also had a period in this age where she was more short hairish but now she is superfluffy 😊

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
these shows are made here and there. It depends on the local club. Most are NOT in Stockholm. There must be Sverak clubs nearby Karlskoga! Örebro, Kristinehamn has prob kattklubbar.
I havent looked, but I would be surprised if they dont have either own local clubs, or clubs nearby have sometimes shows there. As they try to spread a little, depending on where they have their members and where they can get suitable exhibition areas... And suitable hotels for participants from far away.
These are typically in summer in ishockey halls, and in winter in big sport halls.

Everything is of course closed now because of Covid, but soon enough it will open up again.

Please, register with some cat club nearby, they usually do try to help out new or inexperienced members, how to register for the exhibitions, give some guidance, etc... They usually do have short courses for interested. Officially its for breeders and stud owners, but everyone interested is admitted.

If you want I can find a couple of clubs nearby, but you can surely find them yourself too.

And, in the domestic class, there are no certificates, no parentage, and they dont look on any breed standard. Just on the cat itself, how it behaves, of its healthy, if it enjoys herself, with longhairs how they are groomed....

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And, in the domestic class, there are no certificates, no parentage, and they dont look on any breed standard. Just on the cat itself, how it behaves, of its healthy, if it enjoys herself, with longhairs how they are groomed....
Yes, it's a good idea to start to practice with the bathing and grooming, as that makes a big difference in these classes (called household pet classes here in the US). I agree with StefanZ, I'm sure that both of your cats would do extremely well if shown in these classes, if properly groomed and if they were accustomed to the show environment. They are lovely! When there are shows in your area, try it :)

Alltarredantaget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see there is Nerikes kattklubb... Huskatt is the class you look for.
i will look into it ^^ it does sound like fun, i went to sush an event in södertälje when i lived there, idk how she handles that many peoole/other cats envoirment but she does just fine when we have been to the vet for the vaccination and ID chipping and sush, i even have a "full name" that they are registrated with and short name that i call them like dogs usually have x) (my mom is a dog breeder so i have been to some dog competitions with her aswell)
Her full name is Lunastra
And Roxys full name is Roxanne 😊
Thank you for the tip and recomendationa i will have a look at the club you mentioned :)