Is my Sophie actually Siamese?

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I assumed she is, but it sounds like cats who are not Siamese can have similar pointed coloring so maybe she is not? She was picked up as a stray so I have no background on her. The vet thought she was about 9 months old when I got her which would make her 12 years old now. Her eyes do not truly cross but occasionally will look a little crossed. She very rarely makes any noise and I know Siamese are known to be talkers.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sophie is beautiful! :redheartpump: Is she 12 in these pictures? She must be very well cared for :)

I would describe Sophie as a seal point domestic shorthair. She doesn't have the head and body type of a Siamese cat bred to the modern show standard, so we can't tell for sure whether she is a Siamese just by looking at her pictures. Although it's possible that Sophie's parents could have been "old-fashioned" Siamese cats, it's statistically more likely that her parents were not any specific breed.

Seal point cats like Sophie are genetically black cats with two copies of the recessive colorpoint gene, which is widespread in the domestic cat gene pool. Sophie's parents might have been nearly any color themselves, but we know that they both must have carried colorpoint in order to produce a seal point kitten.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Lutece. Sophie is BEAUTIFUL!