Is My Recipe Okay?

discoverwithin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive been using a variation of the recipe from feline nutrition and (My Diet – Puppytown Dogcity Apparel – Shirts & Designs by Puppy the Cat) supplementing with weruva/fussiecat/party animal (in either chicken or turkey varieties) canned just in case.

Per 5 lb of raw ground chicken/organs/bone from hare-today:

8 oz water
4 raw egg yolks
4000 mg fish oil
6000 mg taurine (since some of the food stays frozen for up to 90 days)
800 IU vitamin E
200 mg vitamin B complex
1.5 tsp lite salt
1.5 tsp lysine powder

He also gets freezedried chicken liver and heart treats almost every day from northwest naturals and vital essentials. Thoughts? On an average day he gets 3 meals per day. 4 oz of raw in total. I'll try to include a bit of the canned in at least one of those meals, replacing half of the raw with an equal portion of the canned.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The chicken/bones/organs grind from HT is really high in bone, way higher than cats need, it's like 26% or something, and you want it down around 10%, so you need to be diluting with extra boneless meat. Here's a calculator for how to do it. Dilute Bone Content

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hare Today's fine ground chicken/bone/organ mix is 68% meat, 27% bone, 5% liver. If you want a balanced 80/10/10 mix, then HT needs to be rebalanced as follows (per each pound of HT mix):

So, here are some numbers for you. One pound (16 ounces) of whole ground chicken contains the following:

10.88 oz boneless meat
4.32 oz bone
.8 oz liver

Since you want the bone to be 10%, one pound of whole ground chicken will make 43.2 ounces of food.

You will need to add:

23.7 oz boneless meat
1.36 oz liver
2.16 oz other secreting organ meat

You will end up with this 80/10/5/5 mix:

34.56 oz boneless meat (80%)
4.32 oz bone (10%)
2.16 oz liver (5%)
2.16 oz other secreting organ (5%)

Total 43.2 ounces, or 2.7 pounds of cat food.

Then mix in the amount of Alnutrin (if that is what supplement you choose) for that amount of food.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the above calculations, 2 pounds of HT chicken mix would give you 5.4 pounds of cat food after rebalancing. Then the amounts of supplements from the feline-nutrition recipe would be good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

discoverwithin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The chicken/bones/organs grind from HT is really high in bone, way higher than cats need, it's like 26% or something, and you want it down around 10%, so you need to be diluting with extra boneless meat. Here's a calculator for how to do it. Dilute Bone Content
Thanks! Given that I've already created a batch with the high bone (separated them into portioned baggies and frozen), do you think there's anything I can do to salvage this batch? Maybe purchase a bit of radcat and mix in?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Rad Cat will have an equivalent calcium level to 10% bone (they use egg shell calcium instead of bone), so you'll still have too much calcium/bone. You only need to add only boneless meat and liver, in the amounts I listed in that post above.

One thing you could do is portion the additional boneless meat and liver separately, then alternate days or meals between some of the "too much bone" and the "no bone - just meat and liver". That would be easier than trying to defrost everything a second time to mix in the additional boneless and liver. This idea may only work if you didn't purchase a huge quantity of HT chicken mix that you already prepared. How many pounds do you have? We can find a way to salvage it.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Given that I've already created a batch with the high bone (separated them into portioned baggies and frozen), do you think there's anything I can do to salvage this batch? Maybe purchase a bit of radcat and mix in?
It's fine to feed right now, but if you decide to use this meat long term the next batch I would just dilute because long term you'll end up with some constipation issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

discoverwithin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Rad Cat will have an equivalent calcium level to 10% bone (they use egg shell calcium instead of bone), so you'll still have too much calcium/bone. You only need to add only boneless meat and liver, in the amounts I listed in that post above.

One thing you could do is portion the additional boneless meat and liver separately, then alternate days or meals between some of the "too much bone" and the "no bone - just meat and liver". That would be easier than trying to defrost everything a second time to mix in the additional boneless and liver. This idea may only work if you didn't purchase a huge quantity of HT chicken mix that you already prepared. How many pounds do you have? We can find a way to salvage it.

I have ~20 lbs portioned into 4 oz portions. I have been feeding a bit more canned food alongside it in an attempt to compensate. :)

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's 80 days of food. Good idea to break that up a bit, either with the canned like you're doing, or with additional boneless meat and liver along the way.