Is My Kitty Too Small?

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, Felipe is now 4 months and 1 week old. When we adopted him, his carer told us he was tiny compared to his siblings, and he was also the last one to be adopted (he had an allergic reaction to a flea treatment and he stayed in care a bit longer). Now he is happy and eats a lot (it seems like he's always hungry!). On the 20th of January he was 1.9 kg, after a week he was 2kg (but then he pooped a lot right after we weighed him :D). Last week a saw a kitten in care with my friend, he's same age of Felipe but is MUCH bigger. Felipe still looks so tiny for a 4 month old, but I don't have experience and maybe it's normal. I am attaching a picture so you can see for yourself!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
What a sweet baby! I'm not a vet but since you were told right away he was undersized, he's eating well and doing his businesses well, I think you and he are doing just fine. Go ahead and don't be afraid to feed him as much as he wants ;). I hope you all have a very long life of fun, love and joy.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats are very big and some a very small. When my cat was a kitten, she was about as small as Felipe. Now she is 8 years old, weighs 11 lbs, and has never been sick in her life. As long as Felipe is gaining weight, eating and drinking, and behaving normally, I’d say everything is ok!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he is eating and active I wouldn't worry too much. About a pound per month is average and, if I am converting right, he is right within the expected range. Some cats are small and some cats are big. The size comparison between him and the other kitten might also be comparing a very large kitten with him as a little under average.

In my house I have a large tall and leggy cat and a short and stubby cat. Rocket, my short one, was barely over a pound when we rescued her. Granted, she was malnourished but sill tiny. This was her,

She was just shy of 3 kg by a year old and has since put on muscle, and fat, for a final weight just around 4kg. But she has tinylegs, this is her completely stretched out (no joke)
IMG_20180128_193544.jpg

It doesn't help that I have the long leggy one so she looks even smaller compared to him. This is them playing together and gives a good feel of size difference.

View media item 420658
I wouldn't worry.