Is my kitty pregnant?

liam_9991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! So I was petting my cat and I felt her nipples which i’ve never noticed before - we do have a male in the house who i’ve recently discovered is not neutered (even tho my roommate told me he was, but that’s a story for another day)

Can anyone assist to help me understand if she’s pregnant? I’ve attached photos of her nipples (they’re all the same). Just for clarity, I manually parted her fur for these pics. There’s no hairless ring (yet).

Thank you in advance

Attachments

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen plenty of spayed females with large nipples, so that isn't generally the best way to tell if a female is pregnant (though it can show you if she is nursing).

Do you know if she is spayed? If two cats are together that aren't fixed the female is very likely to get pregnant. That being said, she has to go into heat first. Have you noticed her talking/yowling more? More active? Rolling around a lot?

I would get her in to be spayed as soon as possible. We made the mistake of waiting three times when we first got cats. Most of the first litter passed away, the second litter got severe diarrhea and most passed away, and the third litter had to go to the shelter and took up homes other kittens needed. Don't get me wrong, I loved the kittens and we took the best care of them we could, but it is definitely worth avoiding unless you are a breeder. Over-population is such an issue and after volunteering and fostering for the humane society and seeing how many kitties need homes it is best to avoid accidental litters.

I hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liam_9991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've seen plenty of spayed females with large nipples, so that isn't generally the best way to tell if a female is pregnant (though it can show you if she is nursing).

Do you know if she is spayed? If two cats are together that aren't fixed the female is very likely to get pregnant. That being said, she has to go into heat first. Have you noticed her talking/yowling more? More active? Rolling around a lot?

I would get her in to be spayed as soon as possible. We made the mistake of waiting three times when we first got cats. Most of the first litter passed away, the second litter got severe diarrhea and most passed away, and the third litter had to go to the shelter and took up homes other kittens needed. Don't get me wrong, I loved the kittens and we took the best care of them we could, but it is definitely worth avoiding unless you are a breeder. Over-population is such an issue and after volunteering and fostering for the humane society and seeing how many kitties need homes it is best to avoid accidental litters.

I hope this helps!
Thanks for the quick reply - she’s unfortunately not fixed. I thought my roommate’s cat was fixed which is why I didn’t get mine done, but it was a silly mistake from a first time cat owner - not one i intend on repeating.

I’ll consider a termination if she is pregnant. She’s been a lot more affectionate and vocal the past few weeks so it’s possible that she had a heat - she’s been more cuddly too.

Is a termination necessary? Obviously this is something i’ll speak with the vet about when i have spare money next week but i’d rather avoid having to do that if necessary.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is likely pregnant since both cats are intact. If you spay now it will terminate the likely pregnancy. Otherwise, cats are spayed about 8 weeks after giving birth, when the kittens begin to wean.

liam_9991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is likely pregnant since both cats are intact. If you spay now it will terminate the likely pregnancy. Otherwise, cats are spayed about 8 weeks after giving birth, when the kittens begin to wean.
thank you, it’s such a hard decision i’m genuinely tearing up thinking about spaying and terminating the babies but it’s for the best I think? appreciated though xx

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is something else to think about when it comes to spaying/neutering as it is not only to prevent unwanted pregnancies but also prevent health problems.. if you would like check out the link
If I were in your shoes I would go ahead and go forward with spay/abort because going through with the pregnancy can add up to a lot of money especially if there are complications where she may need an emergency hospital after hours (just speaking of a possibility) needing milk replacer and syringes bottles this should be on hand before kittens are born incase you have any kittens not able to latch on momma. Then spaying and neutering of all of the kittens deworming them vaccinating them and finding them all good respectable homes. I'm not saying it can't be done because it can be. I just know I wouldn't really be able to afford a lot of this personally and there aren't people around who want cats in my area..
Also spay/abort operations are common just as a regular spay or neuter they are common surgeries performed.
Just take some time think about everything and then go with your decision. If you decide to spay now then it should be done sooner rather than later. The vet will be able to tell you if she was pregnant.

Please keep us posted either way we will be here to support you

liam_9991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is something else to think about when it comes to spaying/neutering as it is not only to prevent unwanted pregnancies but also prevent health problems.. if you would like check out the link
[/URL]
If I were in your shoes I would go ahead and go forward with spay/abort because going through with the pregnancy can add up to a lot of money especially if there are complications where she may need an emergency hospital after hours (just speaking of a possibility) needing milk replacer and syringes bottles this should be on hand before kittens are born incase you have any kittens not able to latch on momma. Then spaying and neutering of all of the kittens deworming them vaccinating them and finding them all good respectable homes. I'm not saying it can't be done because it can be. I just know I wouldn't really be able to afford a lot of this personally and there aren't people around who want cats in my area..
Also spay/abort operations are common just as a regular spay or neuter they are common surgeries performed.
Just take some time think about everything and then go with your decision. If you decide to spay now then it should be done sooner rather than later. The vet will be able to tell you if she was pregnant.

Please keep us posted either way we will be here to support you
Thank you so much, i don’t wish to sound like im bragging here but I’m extremely fortunate to be at a point in my life where finances aren’t an issue for this kind of thing, and i have a large family all of which have expressed their support and have said they’d be willing to take the kittens once they reach 10 weeks, so homing and getting supplies won’t be an issue. It just so happens that this month I had an (expected) bill which has left things a bit tight in terms of going to a vet.

would i be an awful person if i allow this pregnancy to go forward and spay her afterwards? The moral decision of terminating this potential pregnancy is weighing on me and I just don’t think I can do it. I have no issues getting her spayed, i just love animals so so much and knowingly terminating them would wreck me.

I appreciate the kind words, i’ll have a read through this link now.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are in a spot where you can do everything for her and kittens then no it is not wrong to spay her afterwards. If I were you able to afford everything without having to question it and already know they will have homes and not end up in a shelter, and personally am not for spay abort... then yes I would go through with the pregnancy if she is pregnant. So I guess if I were you my first step would be to take her to the vet to see If she is pregnant. If she is then you can go forward with the pregnancy and if she is not pregnant then you can go ahead and get her spayed so an unwanted pregnancy doesn't happen.

liam_9991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are in a spot where you can do everything for her and kittens then no it is not wrong to spay her afterwards. If I were you able to afford everything without having to question it and already know they will have homes and not end up in a shelter, and personally am not for spay abort... then yes I would go through with the pregnancy if she is pregnant. So I guess if I were you my first step would be to take her to the vet to see If she is pregnant. If she is then you can go forward with the pregnancy and if she is not pregnant then you can go ahead and get her spayed so an unwanted pregnancy doesn't happen.
thank you this is v helpful 🙏 once i get her to a vet i’ll keep you all updated

liam_9991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds good. Thank you. I'll be looking forward to the update about your kitty. Is your roommate going to be getting their kitty neutered? Like I mentioned it is for health reasons as well
Yes! We have him booked into the vets for tuesday for his neuter.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We decided to go through with all three of our oops litters. Avoiding the litters is best, but once the female is pregnant I just don't have the heart to change that. I've seen it happen at the shelter with pregnant dogs and it was very sad. It is a personal choice though.
Our kittens were so sweet and adorable and they bond so strongly with you. I helped my current cat be born (her mother was abandoned pregnant at the shelter where I volunteered). I fostered her after that and because of her unique health problems decided to adopt her. Her mother and sisters got adopted out once they were old enough and spayed.
Do research and be prepared. Make sure to vaccinate and quarantine kittens so they don't get sick! It is heart breaking to lose them (usually once the antibodies from their mother start wearing off).
Also, kittens can have life-long behavior problems if separated from their mother before 8 weeks, ideally 10-12 weeks is best.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’ll be a year in 2 days! Her name is Missy (Short for Mischief) 🤣
She is absolutely beautiful. I love how Missy is short for Mischief. Is she mischievous?

When we brought our lady home we wanted her to show us her personality and that would determine her name. From the beginning she has been a talker, she definitely has the gift of gab lol so Gabby it became.

Missy is so cute. Thank you for sharing her picture!! ❤ 😺

liam_9991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is absolutely beautiful. I love how Missy is short for Mischief. Is she mischievous?

When we brought our lady home we wanted her to show us her personality and that would determine her name. From the beginning she has been a talker, she definitely has the gift of gab lol so Gabby it became.

Missy is so cute. Thank you for sharing her picture!! ❤ 😺
She can be yes! Always jumping on top of kitchen cabinets and the fridge, “stealing” food (that we left on the chopping board for her) etc, she’s a mischievous little gal but so funny!

Gabby is an excellent name lol! So cute 😻