Is My Kitty Poop Okay ?

Wedaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone so I recently got a new kitty on June 18th, I found the owner on crigslist and she told me that the kitty was 4 weeks. She also told me that she feeds him wet cat food with powder milk, when she gave him to me he was really really tiny and boney. I would give him kitty food with milk and a little bit of water but I still feel like he was not feeding enough. I then later found out that he was actually 3 weeks and 3 week old kitties should be bottle fed, I ordered some bottles off of amazon they arrived next day I mixed in the cat formula with water and tried to feed it to him but he did not want it at all. Everyday I try to feed him as much ( wet food with powder milk) as he would eat. He’s been sleeping a lot which I think is normal for his age he’s now 4 weeks today and he eats very little still, so here’s my concern his poop is kinda on the runny side sometimes it’ll be a toothpaste consistency and sometimes it’ll be brown but runny, I’m still teaching him how to use his litter we’re working on it he tends to be very messy so I do have to give him butt baths. He’s starting to groom himself but sometimes when he’s licking his back feet he falls over so cute. Anyways when should I expect his poop to be a little more solid ? I tired to give him food that’s not as runny but he never finishes it and I want to make sure he’s getting all the nutrients he needs.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am going to give you a link to Kitten Rescue that discusses all kinds of information about kittens and, in particular for you, the feeding schedule, amounts, times, and related weight of kitten - as well poop consistency, etc. There is also plenty of other information in the link that might help you.

See how what you have been doing compares to the information in this link. You really should also get a scale and weigh this kitten, probably daily since it sounds like he might be a bit behind where he should be for his age.

This thread might be better placed in the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care section - and might get more responses from those who are more experienced than I am in this area. So, I will check into having it moved for you to that area.

Kitten-Rescue.com

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wedaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you I really appreciate it.
Hi. I am going to give you a link to Kitten Rescue that discusses all kinds of information about kittens and, in particular for you, the feeding schedule, amounts, times, and related weight of kitten - as well poop consistency, etc. There is also plenty of other information in the link that might help you.

See how what you have been doing compares to the information in this link. You really should also get a scale and weigh this kitten, probably daily since it sounds like he might be a bit behind where he should be for his age.

This thread might be better placed in the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care section - and might get more responses from those who are more experienced than I am in this area. So, I will check into having it moved for you to that area.

Kitten-Rescue.com
you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please come back with more questions, especially if you see some clarifications that you might need. Personally, from what I read about the poop, unless your kitten's is liquid, it doesn't seem problematic. How about the food amount/schedule from what was based on the link I gave you?

Wedaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He eats about a teaspoon of wet food a half teaspoon of kmr and half a teaspoon of water and it’s 8:27 pm right now and he’s eating his third meal of the day.

Wedaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the tmi but here’s some pictures of his stool, it looks very liquify to me

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten should be fed 4-6 times a day. Which wet food and which powdered milk are you using?

Can you get the kitten and a poop sample to the vet? It’s best to get the kitten checked.

We would love to see a picture of the kitten!

W Wedaddy