Is My Kitty A Ragdoll?

apsara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I purchased a ragdoll from a breeder about 2 months ago (paid $1250). He is now 4.5 months (19 weeks) and weighs almost 7 lbs (big boy).

Before the purchase, I wanted to make sure that the breeder is indeed TICA registered. She showed me the TICA registrations of the mom and dad. After I had my kitty neutered, she provided me the breeder slip to register my cat to TICA as well. The only thing that makes me wonder is that his hair seem shorter than the ragdolls I see online? Below is a pic of my kitten if it helps, and here are additional pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Kb9JXL8RfmagjWXA
Does he look like a purebred ragdoll?

upload_2019-7-24_16-17-50.png

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is registered as a Ragdoll, he is a Ragdoll. At his age, he is still quite young and it is hard to say how his coat length will develop (other than being a longhaired cat). Are his parents very fluffy? Did you see the parents (or pictures of the parents)?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will probably end up with a coat length similar to his parents. If you are wondering what to expect regarding his adult coat length, you can ask the breeder about the typical coat development of Ragdolls from her bloodlines, and/or ask for pictures of the father.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, you will just have to see when your kitty grows up whether he will turn out to be as fluffy as mom, or less fluffy like dad. As he is still a young kitten, he has plenty of time to become fluffier :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apsara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dad does have a shorter hair length, but is his hair length common for ragdolls?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Show quality Ragdolls are fluffier. However, there seem to be a lot of Ragdoll breeders who do not focus on breeding to the show standard. Generally, if you want a pedigreed cat that meets the show standard, you would look for a breeder who shows their cats and works with show quality breeding stock.