Is my kitty a Maine Coon?

darincm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he is gorgeous but is not a MC imo. The ears & feet are "off". We just got two MC's, so I have a rough idea of what they should look like

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you fail to realize that some PET quality MC's won't have ear tufts or toe tufts. Nothing wrong with the cat - just not show quality. I've seen MC's from breeders that lacked it and these are from champion bloodlines. So its very possible this is a MC.

Same thing for cornish rex. Out of all my rexes I bred I only had ONE that was a true pet quality - it had everything wrong - short ears, round face, short body and no waves BUT it was still a rex and went to a pet home with people who didn't care that it didn't look like a typical rex.

Genetics are funny - sometimes you wind up with all the negative traits in a cat instead of the quality ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It still seems pretty unlikely that he's a pure-bred Maine Coon, since he wasn't sold as one. But could he possibly be a throwback, like having pure-bred Maine Coon grandparents? (I just learned about throwbacks in science today
) And then he would look so much like a Maine Coon.
By tufts on the ears, are they those little pointy bits of fur sticking off the top? Cierron doesn't have them, but his ears are pretty fluffy!!