Is my kittens spay incision healing properly? There is a lump beside/beneath the incision now. See photos below

Jdugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 month old kitten is shaking her paws out when she walks. Kind of like she has something stuck to them or stepped in water.. but she didn't. I have checked between her pads to make sure nothing is stuck there. I've played with them and they don't seem to be in discomfort, however she has always not been a fan of people playing with her paws. She got spayed 4 days ago. Everything went routine and she seems fine. I have her in a medical suit onesie to keep her and my other cat off her incision. I thought maybe it could be the onesie making her do it but when I take the onesie off to give her a break from it to groom herself, she is still doing it (although her breaks from it are only about 20 minutes as she needs to be fully supervised with it off or she tries to clean her incision). Everything else seems normal. She is eating and drinking. Perhaps sleeping a tad more/not as playful as usual but I feel like this is normal for considering she just had surgery/got spayed on Friday??

Any ideas why she could her shaking her paws?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jdugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I gave her pain meds for the first days after the surgery (saturday and sunday) but no pain meds yesterday or today.
I hope nothing is wrong with her internally or externally! Her incision itself looks good. No swelling, redness or anything at all.
I am hoping it's just that she isn't a fan of the onesie, it is just a weird thing to see..

Last edited by a moderator:

Jdugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today is 4 days after her surgery and I discovered this lump today she I was checking her incision. You can only really notice it when she is stretched out. The lump itself feels firm ish and doesn't seem to bother her when I lightly touch it. She is otherwise acting normal - eating, drinking, using the box, playing, etc.
Thoughts? Normal healing? Something to be worried about?
Thoughts?
20210427_191727.jpg
20210427_191700.jpg
20210427_185850.jpg
20210427_175739.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could well be the onsie. Keep an eye on her, and if it keeps up for more than a few hours after the onsie is gone for good, let's revisit this!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet, but everything looks good to me. As long as there's no blood or discharge, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

The lump could just be simple internal swelling. If she's on meds, continue the course until everything is done. Monitor the lump and if it grows, then call the vet.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like they did the surgical glue for closure which can cause a slight lump while healing. Your kitten may like a warm compress on the area a few times a day. It can help with any swelling or soreness in the area.

Jdugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not a vet, but everything looks good to me. As long as there's no blood or discharge, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

The lump could just be simple internal swelling. If she's on meds, continue the course until everything is done. Monitor the lump and if it grows, then call the vet.
Thanks for the reply!
I called the vet just to be safe and the vet tech said it can be caused by the internal sutures they used and is normal. She said she will double check with the vet but nothing to be worried about unless it was combined with discharge, swelling,etc.

Jdugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like they did the surgical glue for closure which can cause a slight lump while healing. Your kitten may like a warm compress on the area a few times a day. It can help with any swelling or soreness in the area.
Hello!
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I called the vet this morning just to be safe and they said they used internal sutures and those can cause a lump to form in the area sometimes. The vet tech said she will double check with the vet but there likely isnt any need to worry unless there was discharge or something like that in the area as well.