Is my kitten's butt okay?

mochs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry in advance for the photos and the graphical descriptions...and the long post...

I adopted two kittens (brother and sister, ~9 weeks old) from humane society about a month ago. They were seen by the vet there, dewormed, vaccinated, and neutered/spayed.

Since last week, I noticed the female kitten has a slightly protruding(?) anus. It looks even worse than the photos when she is looking for pets and has her tail raised. I feed her wet food 3-4/day but she only eats a small amount, around 1/4 of a 3-oz can each meal. She prefers the dry food and eats about 1 cup/day. There are a few bowls of fresh water around the house and I change them out at every meal. She poops 2-3 times/day and her stool ranges from long cylinders to inch-long chucks. She doesn't seem to have trouble pooping and her pee seems normal.

The male kitten's anus looks much smaller in comparison and does not protrude. He on the other hand LOVES wet food and will wolf down an entire can if left to his own devices. I try to feed him 1/3 - 1/2 of a can each meal; he gets his sister's leftover wet food, plus whatever dry food he's willing to eat in between meals. His stools are softer and more yellowish, and sometimes with a bit of diarrhea towards the end of his bowel movements. He doesn't have any diarrhea when he eats dry food only (overnight feeding) so maybe it's from eating the wet food too quickly. He eats twice as fast as his sister and twice as much. I'm working on slowing down his eating.

They're both eating Royal Canin dry food for spayed/neutered kittens. I added Fancy Feast pate because girl kitten really didn't like the Royal Canin canned food in the beginning. Both kittens seem to like the FF pate better, especially the fish ones, but they'll eat the royal.

There were also two vomiting incidents:
1. Girl kitten's first car ride - 20min in she threw up after a rather big turn in the road. She's been fine since.
2. Boy kitten threw up some chunky kibbles this morning - I think he got impatient waiting for this wet food and ate the dry food too quickly

I haven't noticed any other changes in their behaviour, other than getting more comfortable with their environment and more adventurous. Their energy level can be through the roof especially in the mornings and evenings.

I'm a first time cat owner so every little thing that seems new or off makes me really worried. Their next vet appointment is in 2 weeks for check-up and re-vac, but should they be seen before then? All the vets in my area are enforcing no-contact visits right now so if anyone has any suggestions on additional information to provide to the vet, or any general advice, it'd be greatly appreciated!

mochi-2.jpg mochi-1.png

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I really think that probably warrants an earlier vet visit, but I have no personal experience with a prolapsed anus. Does your vet accept email with pictures? If so, send these to them, tell them what you've told us, and call them to let them know that you did. Then, ask for a review/response. It is possible they may 'squeeze' you in for a quicker visit if they think it should be seen before two weeks pass. I think some of these cases resolve themselves, but others require a simple stitch to 'put things back into place'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mochs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I sent the pictures to the vet and and they said it's not a prolapse and soft stool with lots of wet food is pretty normal. I'm going to monitor her for the next two weeks and bring in some stool samples for testing.