Is my kitten's behavior normal?

leii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is my kitten's behavior normal?

Hello! I "adopted" a kitten (she was living on the streets and I took her) some days ago and, since I haven't had one before, I don't know if her behavior is common.

I think she's only around 2-3 months old (I don't know if I'm right so you can judge for yourself with the attached photos) and since I took her in:
- she has been sleeping almost all day
- hasn't played, when I try to get her attention with a toy she looks at what I show her for a bit but then goes back to sleep or just falls asleep..
- hasn't ran, I thought kittens would be more active.. I was so surprised she has been so calm, I always heard stories about cats knocking off things and being disruptive but my kitty is so calm it's worrying
- doesn't really look if there's a noise behind her, I don't think she's deaf since her ears do move when she hears a noise and sometimes she looks for a bit
- vomits, she has vomited twice since she got here, the first time it was kind of white/clear and the second time it was greenish. I heard that cats do vomit from time to time..
- doesn't clean herself, this might be because she's too young but she rarely grooms herself and she never cleans herself after she uses the litter box

Also, when I got her, I went to a pet farmacy to get her food and the lady gave me a pill because she said her stomach was a little boated. Now she also appears to have diarrhea.

I'm bringing her to a vet tomorrow but I just wanted to get your opinions. Do you think it's a stomach problem? I feel sad seeing her like this, even now she's sleeping on me. Is she like this because she's still young?

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's adorable. Looks around 2 months or so to me. Hard to tell by a photo but the vet will be able to "age" her appropriately.

Cleary there's some kind of health issue. A kitten vomiting is not the norm at all. Or any cat for that matter. Kittens can become dehydrated fast from vomiting and not eating properly so good thing you already have a vet appointment.

Lots of kittens found on the street have worms and it's better to get medicine prescribed by the vet rather than over the counter since you don't know what type they are, what dosage is required etc.

Bring a fecal sample with you tomorrow. They will need that. They will run the normal diagnostics to figure out what's happening. In the meantime, just be sure she's eating something and kept in a warmer space. Some of this could also be related to being new in your home but I suspect it's that she isn't feeling well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's adorable. Looks around 2 months or so to me. Hard to tell by a photo but the vet will be able to "age" her appropriately.

Cleary there's some kind of health issue. A kitten vomiting is not the norm at all. Or any cat for that matter. Kittens can become dehydrated fast from vomiting and not eating properly so good thing you already have a vet appointment.

Lots of kittens found on the street have worms and it's better to get medicine prescribed by the vet rather than over the counter since you don't know what type they are, what dosage is required etc.

Bring a fecal sample with you tomorrow. They will need that. They will run the normal diagnostics to figure out what's happening. In the meantime, just be sure she's eating something and kept in a warmer space. Some of this could also be related to being new in your home but I suspect it's that she isn't feeling well.
Okay, I'll do that. I hope she'll heal soon, thanks for the advice^^

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on becoming a new kitty parent! Thank you so much for giving a sick kitten a loving home to grow up in. She needs you and will have a very happy life in your home.

Because your kitten is so young, the vet will know by looking in her mouth how old she is. The teeth are more telling than the weight and size, but generally kittens gain one pound per month for the first six months.

When people say some vomiting is normal, they are talking about harballs, not green or white liquid. Her vomit is clearly abnormal.

Her young age does not explain why she does not clean herself. That is another sign of illness.

Welcome to TCS! We are all happy to help you with whatever questions you have and chat about your new cat. BTW have you come up with a name for her yet? We can help with that too if you need any ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congratulations on becoming a new kitty parent! Thank you so much for giving a sick kitten a loving home to grow up in. She needs you and will have a very happy life in your home.

Because your kitten is so young, the vet will know by looking in her mouth how old she is. The teeth are more telling than the weight and size, but generally kittens gain one pound per month for the first six months.

When people say some vomiting is normal, they are talking about harballs, not green or white liquid. Her vomit is clearly abnormal.

Her young age does not explain why she does not clean herself. That is another sign of illness.

Welcome to TCS! We are all happy to help you with whatever questions you have and chat about your new cat. BTW have you come up with a name for her yet? We can help with that too if you need any ideas.
I agree with you, something is definitely going on sadly. Since she came in she only groomed herself once, and that was for 15 seconds at most, she just keeps sleeping :( I thought it was because she's too young or because she grew up without her mother, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I hope she'll be able to return to normal soon.

I'm thinking about naming her Snowflake (since most of her is white, I guess it's pretty basic but I find it pretty^^), although I have no idea how to train her to respond to the name haha I'll try my best! Thank you for welcoming me in!