Is my kitten too little?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kaikrishna1111

Wow, ok, I think I will switch them, slowly.
PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL ALL OF YOU REGARDING SBT BENGALS/EG BENGALS AND CHANGE OF DIET! As some of you know early generation Bengals and SBT are prone to "IBS". I know we have a Bengal breeder on the board and she will likely disagree with me. But that is my experience with rescue/fostering true SBT or EG Bengal cats.

I had a F1 Bengal that was a from a breeder and after not having viable kittens for more then two years she was given to me.

I had her until she was 10 years old and died of "natural causes". Anyway she could only digest Meow Mix. I am not saying this was a good quality food at all but any other food (I tried 20 plus brands of wet and dry) gave her horrendous diarrhea!

So I then changed her onto a raw/whole prey diet and she was fine digestive wise.

Taro was an amazing cat and I do actually still miss her about 7 years later

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kaikrishna1111

I feed my ferals meow mix.
There are so many of them, and they just keep finding me through word of kitty mouth. The science diet is pretty expensive though and I defintely saw better foods out there for the same or less, without corn and wheat. There was one called Call of the Wild which I really liked, if she wasn't so little and fragile I would have switched right there. When the SD starts to run out, I will start mixing in a better food for him. I talked to the breeder and it sounds like she will let me return her. It feels like a good decision, I feel terrible for the little thing but I just think it will be the best for everyone. She seems to have high hopes for the kitten so she can care for her the way she sees fit.
Originally Posted by Cat Person

PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL ALL OF YOU REGARDING SBT BENGALS/EG BENGALS AND CHANGE OF DIET! As some of you know early generation Bengals and SBT are prone to "IBS". I know we have a Bengal breeder on the board and she will likely disagree with me. But that is my experience with rescue/fostering true SBT or EG Bengal cats.

I had a F1 Bengal that was a from a breeder and after not having viable kittens for more then two years she was given to me.

I had her until she was 10 years old and died of "natural causes". Anyway she could only digest Meow Mix. I am not saying this was a good quality food at all but any other food (I tried 20 plus brands of wet and dry) gave her horrendous diarrhea!

So I then changed her onto a raw/whole prey diet and she was fine digestive wise.

Taro was an amazing cat and I do actually still miss her about 7 years later
Cat Person, you do realize, if you read her whole thread, that this specific food change is not for the Bengals? She is actually talking about the feral cats she feeds?

The Bengal food change was an entirely other discussion - they are currently eating Science Diet and Friskies, (they are not on Meow Mix) which as you know, are not that great either

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Cat Person, you do realize, if you read her whole thread, that this specific food change is not for the Bengals? She is actually talking about the feral cats she feeds?

The Bengal food change was an entirely other discussion - they are currently eating Science Diet and Friskies, (they are not on Meow Mix) which as you know, are not that great either
Yes Carolina, but my assumption is that she intended to change her Bengals diet along with the domestics. So I was saying I would stick to what the Bengals can digest.

The F1 Bengal I had ate Meow Mix. I was using her as an example as to why you might not want to change a Bengals diet.

I hope I am clearer. Now if she has no intention of changing the Bengals diet just ignore me

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not unusual to have a diarrhea issue when changing any cat's food, particularly dry food. Their system needs time to adjust to the new food so when changing a food it is important to do it gradually, i.e., add a little of the dry food and increase the amount each day over a period of about a week so that by the end of the week there is mostly or all new food. You shouldn't just switch the foods out entirely - that's when you risk the diarrhea.

Wet food isn't so much an issue.

I try to stay away from any foods with by-products.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Science Diet and Friskies are not the worst, as Willowy pointed out. I too am concerned about the number of breeds of exotic cats. She kind of sounds like a back yard breeder to me but I don't have all the info you have.

I think my first course of action would be to get them to the vet.

All 4 of my cats eat either Nutro Max or Nutro Natural Choice foods and have thrived on them. I also mix up their wet food with other brands as well, to give them some variety.

Congrats on your new babies
Sounds like they have found a great home.

I don't have a Bengal but have always liked them. Post pics when you can. Pretty please...