Is My Kitten Too Fat?

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i know being overweight can be bad especially for animals but as a first time kitten owner I can’t tell if my cat is fat or normal. Levi is 5 months old. Not sure about weight gonna get that checked next week when we go for check up.

I leave my kitten a bowl of dry food for consumption when I leave for work at 6:30 am. As I head out door feed him a wet food based cat snack . Then at 8 pm he gets a packet of wet food. ( I live in Japan and I use packets not cams) is this too much daily?

Attachments

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is so cute and he looks fine to me, of course the vet is the person who can say for sure. He is still at an age where he should still get all the food that he wants to eat. He looks like an adorable normal weight kitten to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your opinion. My mom thinks for a kitten he is huge and she made me worry about his health.
He loves to run and jump and gets plenty of excercise But he lives to eat.

I’m huge so as a big person I fear making my cat big too.
He is so cute and he looks fine to me, of course the vet is the person who can say for sure. He is still at an age where he should still get all the food that he wants to eat. He looks like an adorable normal weight kitten to me.
anks

LoriaBelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't look huge to me at all! I've got 2 5 month olds, they both eat the same amount of food every day and yet 1 of them is quite slender and the other one is a little chubby, it's sometimes their build. As long as they aren't being fed unhealthy amounts of food then it's fine, my 2 get 2 kitten pouches a day each, 1 in the morning, 1 at 7pm =]

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He just may be a big cat. I have a couple 16 plus pounds, and then a couple that look like munchkins, tiny and short legged. Kittens up to a year old need to be fed as much as they want. The tiny ones look more overweight than the big ones! Looking at the pictures, your little one looks perfectly normal. A good way to tell is to stand over them a look down, if you see a bulge where their waist is supposed to be, narrow at the head area, bulging out, and then narrow at the hips, they are overweight. You should be able to feel the ribs through the fur too when pressing in. You can't do this with a kitten though, they have somewhat of a potbelly anyway. Keep on posting!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 5 months, Levi should be fed all he wants to eats. Kittens go through growth spurts where they look a little chubby for a few days, then their body distributes the weight into longer legs or body length and they get gangly looking. Then the cycle starts over. You'll want to give him plenty of fuel for all that growing and playing.

He's a cutie! Enjoy him. :purr:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He just may be a big cat. I have a couple 16 plus pounds, and then a couple that look like munchkins, tiny and short legged. Kittens up to a year old need to be fed as much as they want. The tiny ones look more overweight than the big ones! Looking at the pictures, your little one looks perfectly normal. A good way to tell is to stand over them a look down, if you see a bulge where their waist is supposed to be, narrow at the head area, bulging out, and then narrow at the hips, they are overweight. You should be able to feel the ribs through the fur too when pressing in. You can't do this with a kitten though, they have somewhat of a potbelly anyway. Keep on posting!
Oh I see. Thanks for letting me know what to look for. I’m glad he looks normal and healthy.
Thank you :)