Is my kitten overweight? 7.7 pounds at 20 weeks

FreyrAthenaMeno

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Meno weighs 7.7 pounds at 20 weeks old, compared to his sister who is only 4.4. He was neutered at 12 weeks old and I got him shortly thereafter. I don't know what he weighed then but he was 5.6 pounds at 16 weeks -- the vet called him 'a very big boy' but said that he wasn't overweight. However, I know that gaining 2 pounds in 4 weeks is a lot at his age, and this is my first time having kittens so I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. His litter was found without mom at 3-4 weeks old. If he were an adult, I would feel his weight was appropriate -- his ribs don't stick out but they are easy to feel and he has a waist from above. I'm currently feeding him 270 calories of high-protein wet food and 10-30 calories of treats per day.

As I'm sure you all know, it is very hard to get a picture of a black kitten. These are the best I can do to try to show his build!

Here he is with my 15-year-old 15-pound Maine Coon-ish rescue:
IMG_20201002_133656.jpg

making a goofy face:
IMG_20201015_140912.jpg

with his sister in the background:
IMG_20201015_211741(1).jpg

and here they both are on this random growth chart I found online (supposedly from Hill's?):
image.jpg

What do you all think of his weight? Is he a big boy, is this a crazy growth spurt, or am I feeding him too much?

Thanks!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can still feel the ribs and spine he's not overweight. My boys were 9lb and 8lbs at 6 months old lol. They ended up being 13 -12lbs only so your kitten will slow down in weight at 6 - 7 months old.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is absolutely gorgeous (they all are)!! You aren't feeding him too much, as a matter of fact kittens need a lot of food to support all the growth et al that's going on :)