Is my kitten over eating?

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two kittens male and female from different litters. Both roughly the same age (6/7 weeks). The female kitten is happy and healthy no problems, the male however when I first got him was covered in fleas and very thin, still thin but fleas have gone as I washed him multiple times and combed them out. He eats quite a lot, every 5/10 minutes he’s at the bowl eating again and again, naturally he’s pooping a lot more aswell, he’s belly is swollen and hard. Is this down to him over eating? Female kitten eats the right amount a day and no problems with her

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Has a vet seen your little boy regarding worms? Otherwise, he may be making up for lost time and will calm down regarding food over time as his eating catches up with his body's nutritional demand.

Female kitten eats the right amount a day and no problems with her
You mean a little more normally without that frantic action? She's eating as much as she's able to consume? A healthy kitten still needs to eat a lot, in frequent small meals since their tummies are small and can't hold larger quantities yet :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Female kitten eats the right amount I know this because I was brought up in a home with lots of cats lol and we had our share of new litters so I know the normal amount for her size to be eating, but the male just doesn’t stop he keeps going back and back for more. I was thinking it may be because he’s previous owner had him locked in a cage with no food and only fed him when she felt like it and very tiny amounts, so maybe he’s just excited lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Has a vet seen your little boy regarding worms? Otherwise, he may be making up for lost time and will calm down regarding food over time as his eating catches up with his body's nutritional demand.

You mean a little more normally without that frantic action? She's eating as much as she's able to consume? A healthy kitten still needs to eat a lot, in frequent small meals since their tummies are small and can't hold larger quantities yet :)
Hi yes she’s eating the right amount small portions regularly but the male is eating larger portions a lot more regularly

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a feeling he's making up for lost time, but he should certainly be checked for intestinal parasites! THAT SAID...it is almost impossible to overfeed a young kitten. They are playing constantly, and growing like weeds, both of which burn calories like mad.