Is My Kitten Fat?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Posting a side view of her standing up would be most helpful. But honestly at 6 months, you can't really call any kitten fat. One of my boys was nearly 8lbs by 6 months. You can look up cat body condition charts to help you understand where your cat should be. But from the photos, no she doesn't look fat. Looks cute as a button though!

You can help keep her at a good weight by giving her a good diet, lots of play time, and things to mentally stimulate her when no one else is around.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, the pictures posted are deceiving because she's sitting in positions that make any cat look chubbier than they are. The "meatloaf" position is a classic one that will make any cat look a bit chubby.

One of my cats was 10 pounds at 6 months :). I wouldn't worry - cats come in all shapes and sizes.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think she looks fat. Kittens at her age are still growing and developing, i would feed a cat her age all she wants to eat. Do try to feed High protein, moderate fat, and low carbs.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: All of that. I, also, don't think it's possible for a kitten to be fat; they're growing so fast. And she's adorable; we'd love to see more pictures.

Margret

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:

This chart is a good rule of thumb for an adult cat. Kittens are allowed to be pudgier until they grow out of their 'puppy fat' when they are a year or so old.

bodycondition_cat56232.jpg

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A lot of my 6 month old foster kittens are around 6-8 lbs. Your kitty doesn’t look fat to me. Most cats start getting over weight when they are older than 1 year old. Make sure you don’t free feed her when she stops growing. It is known to cause many cats to become obese. You should also feed wet food if possible because it is lower in grains than dry food.

Don’t forget all cats have a primordial pouch by their hind legs that allow their skin to stretch while jumping. It can make some cats look like they have a flabby stomach, but it’s a normal part of their body.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Bella is beautiful.:catlove:

I agree with the other posters, kittens are still growing, so aren't usually overweight.

Has she been spayed yet? No chance she's pregnant, is there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krissy9728

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Bella is beautiful.:catlove:

I agree with the other posters, kittens are still growing, so aren't usually overweight.

Has she been spayed yet? No chance she's pregnant, is there?
Hi, rubysmama. No she’s not pregnant she was just spayed 3 weeks ago. So my little darling cannot get pregnant anymore. And I’ll post more side pictures of her!

Last edited by a moderator:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good to know she's been spayed, therefore not pregnant, as I've read kittens can actually become pregnant before their first heat.

We'd love to see more pics of Bella. :camera: You can post them here, or start a new thread in our New Cats on the Block forum where you'll be sure to get a few more "hellos" and "welcomes". :)