Is my kitten being too aggressive

boh1313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi i recently recieved a 6 week old kitten for my bday, he is now 10 weeks old. I work full time and feel bad about not being home during the time with him so i went to the animal shelter and got a 8 week old kitten for him to have as a friend. Ive been keeping them seperated when i am not home however when i get home i try to let them play. The problem is is she is very shy and not very energetic and he is the exact opposite. As soon as he sees her her runs and jumps on top of her and keeps biting her. At first she lets him do it but after about 30 sec she fights to get away and trys to run from him. Im new to cats and i dont know if this is apart of playing or if she is in distress so i usually seperate them at this point otherwise he just keeps escalating it. She dosnt hiss she just begins meowing constantly. Any advice on what i sh9uld do ir if this is normal would be greatly appreciated

kmeccat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All kittens have different personalities and their ages make a difference too. Kittens generally remain with their moms until 6-8 wks of age.

A 10 wk old kitten would be much stronger and more energetic than an 8 week old.

You have two options--trade her in for a more energetic 10 wk old male kitten, or wait until she "catches up".

She meows constantly because she misses her litter mates, her mom and familiar surroundings.

This is a "strange boy" to her. ..a stranger who keeps expecting her to romp with him.

As she grows up and gets stronger, she'll most probably get used to him and want to wrestle and run also.  It's a natural thing all kittens do.

Their playing serves several purposes...cats are predators--kittens are learning to stalk, hunt, wrestle and kill their prey (biting and thumping with their back legs)...they are expending the oodles of energy they have, and they are also having fun. 

ANYTHING that moves is a potential target.  Another kitten or cat, a toy, a bird, your foot, leg, hand, hair. ANYTHING.

So be aware that this WILL happen.  It's what almost all "children" do, whatever species...including humans.

Lots of energy...play hard, eat, rest, grow.  Rinse and repeat.

Don't let him hurt her.  Be patient. 

As she grows and strengthens, she will most probably join in on the fun. Then they will chase each other, wrestle, hiss, knock things over and get into lots of mischief...like little toddlers, they will keep you pulling your hair out with their "antics" but you'll love them anyway.  LOL!

Also, make sure she's checked by a vet ASAP. If she came from a shelter, she may have a cold or other shelter illness like diarrhea that's making her feel less than energetic.

Make sure she gets all her shots and since you have a male and a female be SURE they BOTH get neutered BEFORE six months, or you'll end up with kittens and--and the world does not need more kittens--they are extremely hard to find homes for!! Also an un-neutered male tends to mark his territory by spraying his very unpleasant urine everywhere.  Best to start saving for the spay and neuter now--it's gotten quite expensive!  Shop around now and compare prices and vets.

Good luck and enjoy your kittens! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boh1313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an appointment for the vet on friday and nueter and spay next month. I dont want to get rid of her because shes the sweetest thing plus they have too many cats in the shelter now and there putting alot of them down and i cant let that happen. Would it be a good idea to keep her away from him for the next week or should i continue to let her run around when im home andwatch them closely and let him play with her.

kmeccat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would let them run around together while you're home...separating them while you're away until they seem to be getting along.  (Just so he doesn't terrorize her while you're away!) Just make sure he doesn't hurt her...you'll know by her reaction.

Eventually, as long as she's healthy, she should build up strength and courage and turn around and take him on...lol!

Females can be small but feisty--who knows, she may just give him a run for his money soon!

As far as the neuter an spay next month.  I always go by the "around 6 mos" rule.  They generally become sexually mature at six months, so it's advised to neuter them around that time.

I know they neuter and spay much younger than that at the shelters, but I think that's awfully young.

A neuter is a very simple, quick operation and if his testicles have descended ( you can feel them) then he can be neutered easily.  He'd be what, about 3 1/2 months by then? That's early, but fine.

But she's only 8 wks now --just a baby--and can wait at least another month or two. That would spread out your payments and be easier on your pocketbook.

Obviously, once he's neutered, your risk of "accidental" kittens goes down to zero as long as she stays inside. 

If you waited until she's 16-20 wks, or 4-5 months that's plenty early.

Hope that helps!

Good luck! Kathy