Is my Kitten actually a male?

galux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there! I just have a quick question about my kittens.
I have two 8 month olds, one white, one black. Well the black one, Jess, has so far had 3 obvious heats. Emmie the white one hasn't seemed to have any, and whenever Jess is in heat, Emmie mounts her and bites her neck, acting out the motions of a male cat mating a female? Ive been trying to check her/his genitals but because the hair is so long, cant really tell? What do people think?

Thankyou!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you do a comparison of their "behinds" to see if they look the same? That would probably be the easiest way to tell.

Is there any reason they haven't been fixed? With the extreme cat overpopulation there is no need for anymore kittens born! And if she is indeed only 8 months old, having that many heats would be very hard on her & risking her health.

The forum rules & guidelines:

2. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cats. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old. If you take care of a feral colony, please make sure to do so responsibly by practicing TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) protocols within the colony. By spaying and neutering, you enhance a cat's quality of life and improve their longterm health. You are also proving your love for cats because in acting as a responsible pet owner/caregiver you are minimizing the problem of cat overpopulation.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Different cats have their first heats at different times - anything up to 10 months is quite common. When a cat is in heat the pheromones she gives off are so strong that it can cause female cats to react too and mounting behaviour is quite possible, particularly if there are any dominance issues between the cats. It happens in other animals too - you often see cows 'mounting' each other in fields. But I do agree that it is time to get them both spayed.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do need to get them both spayed asap, the one who's already been through 3 cycles is at risk of Pyometra which can be deadly if not caught in time.

It shouldn't be hard to tell a boy of 8 months even with long hair if he'll stand still enough for you to part the hair.

Cats can have silent heats too, so your other girl may be either slower to develop or going through silent calls.