Is my kitten a tri?

dmsmith9584

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had seven kittens recently two of which are calico's and one is a tortie. My question is I have one that seems to have black and white spots and tiger stripped spots these do not blend they are separate spots, would that kitten be considered a tri colored kitten? I don't know much about cats besides what other people have told me but I have never seen this and I have googled everything and can't find a pic of one like this or any information. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance[emoji]128512[/emoji]I added some pics but it's still hard to see

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is his forehead looking?  Any trace of the typical  M ?

Does he has ANY red or creme on him?  It may even be a quite smallish spot anywhere!

Do you deem the kitten to be female or male?  

(Tricolors, ie torties, are not common as male, they are usually female.)
My cat had seven kittens recently two of which are calico's and one is a tortie. My question is I have one that seems to have black and white spots and tiger stripped spots these do not blend they are separate spots, would that kitten be considered a tri colored kitten? I don't know much about cats besides what other people have told me but I have never seen this and I have googled everything and can't find a pic of one like this or any information. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance[emoji]128512[/emoji]I added some pics but it's still hard to see

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmsmith9584

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He does not have an m his head is white in this pic you can see that the tiger patches have a cream or orangish hue to the stripes while on the previous pics you can see how some spots are solid black mostly on the back while others are the orangish tiger stripes on sides back of legs and top of head he's really odd and yes it's a male the other ones two calicos and a tortie are all females while the last three males are white with tiger patches and one is black I've included a pic of the family n the three girls as well any info on what the girls colors would be conspired would help too as the tortie im not sure of because she has so much white frosting lol and the one calico has an awful lot of white so is a true calico or something else and if calico is there a special name for her markings ? Than you

He is the last two pics

Last edited by a moderator:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The boy posted in the first post, is he the last kitten on the picture with all kittens and mom? If so, he's a black tabby and white kitten. The white pattern could be described as Harlequin.

Calico is just a way to call black tortie with a certain amount of white females - and the red/black are like patches and not mixed together a lot. You could call the girl (2nd picture of the 2nd post, last kitten) a calico. The one in the middle I wouldn't call a calico because it has that many white. i would go with a Black Tortie (tabby?) Harlequin for her ^^ But I don't use the term Calico myself for my kittens, as it's not how it's put on pedigrees so I'm not that used to the term. I can be wrong..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont see any M on his forehead, not in color (obviously)  nor even as a groove in the white fur.

But I see at least one sure tabby in the litter, probaby one more...

And as tabby is dominant, about half of them should be tabbies (the father was probably a tabby, carrying tabby gene in that gene pair).    So if you see some stripes we dont know what to do about, its probably tabby stripes anyway....   :)

The question is if you see any red or even creme on him...   :)

If not he is not tortie nor torbie.    Although several of siblings are.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmsmith9584

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We will prolly have to wait till he's a bit bigger to really see I suppose my boy Sweets looked much darker when he was kitten so maybe the black spots are just stripped spots and the color is not as evident yet[emoji]128512[/emoji] thank you for the info and I will be quite impatiently waiting to see how this little guy turns out!