Is my cat's stool normal?

rose2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd post my question here just in case anyone had some feedback. My 9month old has reduced stools since changing her diet, they are in smaller pieces - not large logs, medium brown and firm but soft (not too hard). Not much smell either. She now poops once every 24-36 hours. Is this all normal? She does not appear to be straining. Some background to her food type is below if that helps.

(Food background: I've recently switched to having wet/canned food as her main meals with only a tiny bit of kibble on working days between meals. She was previously on Wellness Complete kitten health dry for 1 meal, them Wellness kitten formula canned for the 2nd meal. However after reading about urinary issues surrounding Wellness and dry food, I've recently switched both meals to mostly canned food (sometimes raw). I've changed brands to Holistic Select which is a premium canned food (limited grain not grain-free as kitty gets constipated on grain free).

Really appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance :clap:

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Change in diet can definitely cause changes in stool size/color/frequency. I have coworkers who swear their pets defecate less on Royal Canin vs Hill's and vice versa. As long as the stools appear healthy then you should be fine. But check with your vet just to be sure. I can only share knowledge from my experience and I'm not a doctor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rose2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much @CatLadyVetTech :D however I'm a little confused as to what a healthy stool should be. Some articles say chocolate brown logs, some say medium to large, some say tan to dark brown. Very confusing (I will spare you from seeing any photos too ;) )

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd say as long as you're not looking at white, yellow, black, green or red stool it's ok. But as always, I'll add the disclaimer that I'm not a doctor. :)