Is My Cats Spay Incision Infected??

catdegrees

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi!
Sookie is now a 6 month old kitten who got spayed around three to four weeks ago. She wore her e-collar for that entire time even though she hated it. The wound appeared to have been healed fine. There had been some scanning but no oozing or anything like that during the healing process. However, yesterday I just checked on her scar because she had started licking it and it had been really red. So I freaked out and put her collar back on. This morning I woke up and fed her, removing her collar and checked on the wound to see where we were. The first photo was yesterday and the 2nd is today. Is her wound infected? She’s eating fine and seems normal. The skin around the wound isn’t warm and it doesn’t have a foul odor. I’m kind of scared and worried as I’m flying with her back home in a week for school.

Should I take her to the vet?

Attachments

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I doesn’t look infected but does look like it dehisced. That means the edges came apart. It looks like it may have granulation tissue in the center (the pink bumpy stuff) so it’s already starting to heal by second intention. Definitely get it seen by a vet but it’s not a big deal and he’ll probably tell you to leave it alone.

Why do incisions dehisce? Certainly not because of anything you did. There is a natural weak point during wound healing, at 10 days, if I remember correctly, when they may come apart. Most of wound dehiscence is believed to be caused by low-grade infection that sometimes happens no matter how diligent you are about keeping the wound clean.

Good luck with school and sending incision healing vibes to Sookie :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me it looks infected. It seems to be a bit swollen, and have some oozing? It has definitely separated.

I would have her to the vet today, or as soon as possible. I think she will possibly need antibiotics, and the vet may need to clean up the incision, and even throw in a few stitches. I would be very worried that it looks like this after 3 to 4 weeks.

Keep us updated, i will worry about your little girl. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdegrees

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all!
update on my baby girl. turns out it was an infection but they gave her antibiotics and some ointment for her wound which looks SO much better than the pictures above. The swelling has completely disappeared and her wound has just about closed up. There is some pink still there but I full believe within a week or so she'll have made a complete recovery. She continues to act completely normal (demanding cries for food at 100%) and plays well. She is upset about her e-collar but soon it'll be off for good.
thanks to those who replied and wished her well, you guys rock.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad you got her back to the vet and got her checked out. Sounds like she's on the road to recovery!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update. so glad she is doing better. They do not like the E-collar, but it can prevent a lot of problems, and they do adjust! :heartshape: