Is my cat too skinny?

SunshineKitten00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’ve recently change my cat’s food. I think she lost a bit of weight (I lessen her portion too since she was a bit overweight).

How can I determine that she’s in her ideal weight and shape? I fear that I cut down her food more than I should. Her ribs are not showing. I can feel her spines but I can’t see them (she is a short haired cat). Is there any other indication that could help me determine her healthy weight?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi, I’ve recently change my cat’s food. I think she lost a bit of weight (I lessen her portion too since she was a bit overweight).

How can I determine that she’s in her ideal weight and shape? I fear that I cut down her food more than I should. Her ribs are not showing. I can feel her spines but I can’t see them (she is a short haired cat). Is there any other indication that could help me determine her healthy weight?
How old is your cat? Do you have a top and side view photos of her?

If you can feel her ribs but not as feeling bones, it’s normal and unless you can see her ribs even without feeling it, then that’s skinny. Cats on a little pudgy side is ok as long as not overweight.

Here’s a pictorial guide to determine whether your cat is skinny or fat.

1711031333409.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SunshineKitten00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry it took me a while to answer. My cat’s around 4-5 years old (she was a stray so I don’t know the exact age).

Here’s a picture of her. Sorry I don’t have a perfect top or side view.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi, sorry it took me a while to answer. My cat’s around 4-5 years old (she was a stray so I don’t know the exact age).

Here’s a picture of her. Sorry I don’t have a perfect top or side view.
No problems.

Your cat looks ok to me. Just a little on the lean side.. I won't be bothered by that unless she keeps loosing weight, otherwise it's ok.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
The photo is very difficult to see,a more eye level view of her standing sideways would be great

I cannot tell if I'm seeing her bones raised at the base of her tail or if it's her striped pattern giving an optical illusion of her ribs- from that photo I'd tend to say she is slightly underweight and could stand to gain a pound - what does she weigh? 10 lbs? She looks like a small cat .... can you take another photo?