Is my cat thinner? And not letting her outside will cause her depression?

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, one is spayed (Greta) and other unspayed (Chitti),
My spayed cat after turning 1 year has changed a lot, she just want to go outside all the time. I let them go out in the morning when sun rise so it's safe for them, but nowadays she will wake me up at 3 or 4'o clock to let her outside. Here a bad tom cat attack them so I wait for a little sunrise so it's safe for her, but no matter what she will meow loudly with all her strength out. Sometimes I feel sad for her, so I have to give up and stay outside for hour to wait for sunrise so she is safe there and then go back to sleep a little more.

I play with her a lot at night but she gets bored some day. And nowadays she sometimes manage to go out at evening (run out when someone opens the door) and stay out all night and will return next morning. (I have trained her to walk on lease and she enjoys that a lot.)

She was not like this before, she used to come back after 3 hours if accidentally ran out. But after chitti has given birth, she has become quite contented to outdoor and feels irritated everytime and now attack chitti also whenever she comes to her to cuddle.

Whatever I am unable to understand her, if I go after her my mom scolds me out as she says I will cause her depression. And what concern me more is she is getting very lean (her weight now is 3.5 kg). No shown rib cage or tucked stomach. I am feeding her matisse kitten and bellota wet food. Sometimes whiskas as treat.

Is there a solution to keep her inside or should I let her do what she wants.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She doesn't look thin to me, can you weigh her monthly. 3.5kg is a reasonable weight if she is a small cat. If she goes out on a leash, are you able to take her out several times a day then maybe she will settle throughout the night. Do you have a garden or some space you could build a catio for her, even a balcony made secure could work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She doesn't look thin to me, can you weigh her monthly. 3.5kg is a reasonable weight if she is a small cat. If she goes out on a leash, are you able to take her out several times a day then maybe she will settle throughout the night. Do you have a garden or some space you could build a catio for her, even a balcony made secure could work.
My mom has build a catio in our balcony, but it's not furnished right now, a lot of slap has been built to watch easily on the jungle that is backyard. But that also doesn't make her settle. And walking her on lease I take her out quite a lot whenever I am free, but when I have work I take for one or two hours, in the evening.
And we have bought a weighting machine for shop, so I can weight her monthly.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old are the kittens? Is it possible Greta wants to be outside more due to Chitti and her babies? Perhaps Greta just wants to stay away from Chitti either due to the kittens or due to hormonal changes brought on by having kittens. I don't know what your longer-term plan is for the kittens or Chitti, but it could be that Greta will revert back to her more normal self once things settle down some, especially if you plan to have Chitti spayed.

Some cats are more prone to desiring longer and longer periods of time outside once they get a taste of it. That also could be playing a role with Greta. In these cases, in order to try to avoid Greta getting harmed by another animal or wandering off for days on end (or, forever), tough love comes into play - balcony and leash time only. Cardboard boxes, and/or a few pieces of wood to construct some places for Greta to climb on/play in, for the balcony is one way to 'furnish' it until more costly items can be purchased. Free cardboard boxes are everywhere - all kinds of stores would be willing to give you some, so if they get wet or get destroyed over time, they can be easily replaced.

If her balcony time can be enriched a bit to be entertaining, I cannot imagine she is going to get depressed. The fact is she might already be if for some reason she is trying to avoid Chitti (and kitties). However, I tend to think depression in cats is not terribly common if they are loved and cared for and given attention and entertainment.

Also, just in case this might help - How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The thing is when I let her outside before she used to come on her own like after 2-3 hours. And as of now she had started sleeping outside, that's what the biggest concern of mine. At night I can't locate her, so that's what the biggest advantage she has got. She will run and hide under a car parked near my house of the neighbour.

I have furnished a little and have some cardboard outside, I was busy two days ago, I will re-shedule her once again with staying inside at night. And wait for Chitti's kids to grow and got adopted. Then will observe their behaviour.