Is my cat stressed?

sakukazuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there.

Me and my partner just yesterday rehomed two of the FIV cats from the shelter I work at. They both have no problems with each other, have got along fine, and seem happy enough to live together. One of our cats, Marvin, has for the last two months (at the shelter), had bald sore patches on his shoulders and his neck under his chin. He's been to the vets about it, and they took skin samples but I believe it came back fine and they gave some cream to take care of the wounds. (I do believe it was either a concern of allergies but most likely was cat wounds from a cat who used to attack him back at the shelter). Since he's been home with us he's been scratching alot on the sore areas, causing the wounds to open and bleed again. Obviously we have tried starting to use the cream to stop the itching. Not only this but Marvin has been washing a bit excessively and I don't quite know whether both of these issues are from stress of moving to a new place, which is most likely.

He's otherwise happy, and loveable, eats, drinks and uses the litter box fine. So I'm hoping the scratching and grooming will stop after a few days or given time to settle in.

Is this most likely stress he's showing due to the move? The cat shelter told me it was most probable.

I was thinking if the problems don't clear up in a few days of looking into Femiway the "cat stress reducer"... has anyone used this and should I bother? It might help both cats settle but obviously I don't wanna pay for something that's not worth purchasing.

Any other advice?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like he is stressed, which is common for kitties in shelters and in new homes. I'd definitely get the Feliway plug ins and see if that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakukazuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll give it a try I think
would definitely want to keep them as happy as we can!