Is My Cat Stressed Out?

Pikasaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. So my boy Captain Hook is about 8 months old and he is not fixed. He has been super naughty these past couple weeks! He keeps jumping on the nightstand and dressers when he knows he is not supposed to. He learned how to open the cabinets and I came home from work today with spilled sauces and a bag of tortillas ripped open. He also meows constantly at nothing and sometimes yowls like crazy. We have had some changes and some upcoming. My husband has recently left for training and will be gone a month, he has been gone a week so far, and this is around the time Hook has been acting extra naughty. We are also in the process of moving into a house and have been packing our belongings. Is he being naughty because he is stressed out? Or is he acting out because he needs to be fixed soon?

Thank you for any help and advice!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say yes to both. Bless you and your husband! If there's any way amidst the load of things to do, give him some extra attention and play time. Along with everything, he's picking up on your feelings, so maybe some time with him carved out of it all might help you as well (and then there's always the vet visit). Hang in there!!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He needs to be fixed ASAP! It's his hormones driving a lot of this behaviour. My guess is that he can sense/smell females in heat, and his 'acting out' is from his frustration at not being able to get to them and satisfy his sexual urges! 8 months old is plenty old enough to be fixed. The sooner you get it done, the sooner he will start to calm down. It'll take a few weeks to see the full positive effects (his hormones will take a while to settle), but you should start to see some changes pretty fast.