Is my cat sick or adjusting after vacation?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I will definitely consider this though because I might be away for a week in March again and it might be too much movement for her if I leave her at the same cat sitter place for a week, then bring her back again.
Good idea to look into a pet sitter or other options now rather than later and also have a back up plan. I thought these two TCS Articles might have some helpful tips and information for you: Selecting The Best Pet Sitter – TheCatSite Articles
A Pet Owner’s Guide To Pet Sitters – TheCatSite Articles

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's my take, given the additional information you posted.
You had her for three months, then left for a month. It's no wonder she's a little shy around you, she barely got to know you. However, I still think there's an additional health issue going on.

Being gone for a week in March isn't going to have the same impact. I would use that same sitter since your cat is already familiar with them and the sitters setup, as you described, is very cat friendly. Leave a couple worn but not washed yet items of clothing (socks) that the sitter can place where she naps. It'll be good.

Also, I'd seriously get her in to the vet. Being shy around you is one thing, but her other behaviors you described and now not hardly moving etc is not normal.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's my take, given the additional information you posted.
You had her for three months, then left for a month. It's no wonder she's a little shy around you, she barely got to know you. However, I still think there's an additional health issue going on.

Being gone for a week in March isn't going to have the same impact. I would use that same sitter since your cat is already familiar with them and the sitters setup, as you described, is very cat friendly. Leave a couple worn but not washed yet items of clothing (socks) that the sitter can place where she naps. It'll be good.

Also, I'd seriously get her in to the vet. Being shy around you is one thing, but her other behaviors you described and now not hardly moving etc is not normal.
She has been through a rolloercoaster ride. I took her in as she was abandoned and she 'chose' me by waiting by my flat everyday and eventually she made herself comfortable at my flat. I took her to the vet and she had no medical issues and no microchip...but she was pregnant! 2 weeks later, she gave birth to three healthy kittens, which, for me never owning cats in my life was an experience :p She then got vaccinated, micropchipped and spayed. When her stitches healed, I went on vacation.

I wonder if she resents me for leaving her this long after all these changes.

Out of curiosity today, I left my iPad out facing the bathroom where she is hiding and this is what happend. She looks like shes very cautious to see if I am around:
It's not the full video but she basically say by the door for a while, sniffed her food again, returned to the door to sit and observe. When she heard the door open she ran back to her spot.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She doesn't resent you or hate you or anything like that. cats don't have that kind of emotional reaction.

Are you considering getting her to a vet?

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doesn't resent you or hate you or anything like that. cats don't have that kind of emotional reaction.

Are you considering getting her to a vet?
Yes, definitely. She absolutely hates her current crate so I am thinking to get another one and take her to get checked this week.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I took her to the vet and she had no medical issues and no microchip...but she was pregnant! 2 weeks later, she gave birth to three healthy kittens, which, for me never owning cats in my life was an experience :p She then got vaccinated, micropchipped and spayed. When her stitches healed, I went on vacation.
If you don't mind me asking, what happened to her kittens? I wonder if this might have something to do with her change in behavior.

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you don't mind me asking, what happened to her kittens? I wonder if this might have something to do with her change in behavior.
I had to give them away after they were weaned as I couldn't handle 3 growing kittens in my apartment. My cat at the time didn't display and signs of depression or didn't call out for them when they were gone.

Small update though: Whilst she is still hiding and a bit timid, she has come out more often and is starting to respond to her food bowl and when I make noise with the food packet. She also meows at me but I can't decipher her mood/needs when she does so.

She also slept on my bed last night and has goes to her favourite window spot in my room to look outside during the day. She still seeks darkness under furniture, but she is making good progress considering how she started.