Is my cat sick or adjusting after vacation?

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently returned from a 4 week holiday and picked my cat up from the cat sitter. The cat sitter has been amazing and looked after her well and she has other rescue cats in her flat in which my cat played with some of them.

Since she’s been home, she’s been hiding and hasn’t peed or pooped in over 36 hours. She doesn’t groom herself and barely moves around, sitting in one spot under furniture. She hasn’t vocalized if she is in pain during the day but she yowled/called out in the middle of the night last night and eventually stopped.

First day she ate a lot and responded to her food bowl being tapped (signal for meal time) but now she is not interested in eating after sniffing her wet food, even when bringing the bowl near her at her hiding spot. I did her eating In the middle of the night last night when I was “asleep”.

She is hiding under furniture but accepts being petted when approached and purrs very loudly.

I can’t figure out if there may be something wrong or if she’s anxious about being back and is adjusting to her previous routine?

thank you for your help!
71ADDD65-691D-4D88-B8A0-3D77313CBA80.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No offense to your cat sitter, but is it possible that one of the other cats has some sort of virus or illness? I know it can be a really touchy subject to ask someone who cared for your cat about this but given the situation it might be worth a discussion.

It doesn't seem like it would be related to her coming home and having anxiety, since she was very receptive to being home at first. However, it might be that she now realizes she has lost her 'playmates' and is stressed from that. Even so, it is hard to believe that she would stop peeing or pooping for 36 hours. Have you checked to see if she might not be using her litter box, and going somewhere else? Can you tell how much you think she ate while you were 'sleeping'? I would measure the amount left out and then check again in the morning. Also, if she howls again, go to her and see what is going on.

Lastly, check about her food - is it still good? Was she fed something different for all or part of the time she was with the cat sitter?

I have to agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom , she probably should be checked out by your vet.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with both the above members. :agree: I would be extremely worried if she hasn't peed or pooped for 36 hours. At the very least please call your vet, explain how long you've been gone, her symptoms and ask their advice. Please keep us posted on her progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your replies I am a first time cat owner and I adopted her as she was abandoned and I find it very difficult to understand my cat! I thought about how it must be very different as the cat sitters house was two levels and she is now in a small one-bedroom apartment and that she has no more playmates.

She used the litterbox once and has peed and pooped! But it took me having to sleep before she went.

When I woke up this morning, she had finished wet and dry food I had left out for her. She also came out of hiding for a few minutes to rub herself against furniture, accepted petting, use her scratch post and rub against my legs, and then went back under the same furniture where she is now laying. She still has no interest in eating when calling her name or preparing food, so it seems like she will only use the litterbox and eat when I am not around.

I will contact my vet still and see what they say!

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No offense to your cat sitter, but is it possible that one of the other cats has some sort of virus or illness? I know it can be a really touchy subject to ask someone who cared for your cat about this but given the situation it might be worth a discussion.

It doesn't seem like it would be related to her coming home and having anxiety, since she was very receptive to being home at first. However, it might be that she now realizes she has lost her 'playmates' and is stressed from that. Even so, it is hard to believe that she would stop peeing or pooping for 36 hours. Have you checked to see if she might not be using her litter box, and going somewhere else? Can you tell how much you think she ate while you were 'sleeping'? I would measure the amount left out and then check again in the morning. Also, if she howls again, go to her and see what is going on.

Lastly, check about her food - is it still good? Was she fed something different for all or part of the time she was with the cat sitter?

I have to agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom , she probably should be checked out by your vet.
Luckily, she didn't pee or poo anywhere else in the house, but I was surprised that she was able to hold it for so long. She ate a full pack of wet food and some of her dry food. The bowl was cleaned out so she must've been very hungry. Do you think it is possible that she ate from another bowl at the cat sitter or that other cats used her bowl and that's why she doesn't respond anymore?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think it is possible that she ate from another bowl at the cat sitter or that other cats used her bowl and that's why she doesn't respond anymore?
Anything's possible but honestly IMO I think being away from her home for four weeks as well as with other cats is a period of adjustment for her. It's encouraging that she finally peed and pooped, rubbed up against the furniture and your leg which indicates she's marking her territory. If it were me I'd pay special attention to her, show affection if she allows it, talk softly, sit in the same room with her even if she goes under the furniture and let her come out at her own pace. It's still a good idea to contact your vet since a phone call doesn't cost anything. And since you're a first time cat parent please feel free to keep us posted with any questions or concerns. :alright:

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anything's possible but honestly IMO I think being away from her home for four weeks as well as with other cats is a period of adjustment for her. It's encouraging that she finally peed and pooped, rubbed up against the furniture and your leg which indicates she's marking her territory. If it were me I'd pay special attention to her, show affection if she allows it, talk softly, sit in the same room with her even if she goes under the furniture and let her come out at her own pace. It's still a good idea to contact your vet since a phone call doesn't cost anything. And since you're a first time cat parent please feel free to keep us posted with any questions or concerns. :alright:
Thank you for the reassurance! She came out for a couple of minutes in the morning and I think that is a lot of progress for her! She still feels more comfortable to come out when I am not around and hides again when she hears me walking in the room. I sit with her and pet her, which she allows, so I am grateful for that at least!

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm thrilled to hear she's eating! Scary, my goodness.
She only seems to eat when I am sleeping. I will see how it goes again tonight.

I have tried tempting her with treats, her wet and dry food but she has no interest whatsoever. She hasn't eaten all day :/

Could it be possible that she got used to other food whilst she was at the cat sitter? They even made boiled chicken, which I never did for her actually. However, when my cat has eaten, her wet food bowl has been cleaned up and its the food I always gave her before the vacation.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe it's that you smelled different to her after your vacation, and she's gradually learning that you're still you?

Some cats really don't do well with changes, and a month is a long time in a cats world.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as she continues to make progress, especially since she is at least eating, drinking, and using the litter box, I am guessing you will continue to see her behavior normalizing over time.

Your scent changing is a good thought too! Any change in lotions/shampoos/perfumes/etc. might be attributing to her leeriness.

Did you ever play music before or watch particular TV shows - anything like that - which you could do now if that would help her connect to you for familiarity? Maybe even sit on the floor near her hide out spot, and softly read a book out loud?

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe it's that you smelled different to her after your vacation, and she's gradually learning that you're still you?

Some cats really don't do well with changes, and a month is a long time in a cats world.
That makes sense, and it was something I didn't even realise could be a potential issue! I was under the impression she would be owning my flat and happy to have her own space and smells back, and it was sad to see her retreat and hide in her own home. Baby steps for sure!

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As long as she continues to make progress, especially since she is at least eating, drinking, and using the litter box, I am guessing you will continue to see her behavior normalizing over time.

Your scent changing is a good thought too! Any change in lotions/shampoos/perfumes/etc. might be attributing to her leeriness.

Did you ever play music before or watch particular TV shows - anything like that - which you could do now if that would help her connect to you for familiarity? Maybe even sit on the floor near her hide out spot, and softly read a book out loud?
I did go on vacation for 4 weeks, so I must have picked up a lot of scents! It just makes me sad to see her look so sad and scared.

Interesting point, but I never really had anything particular, but she is used to having me have the TV on. I have spent more time with her today sitting near her and she would occasionally move her head towards me for petting but will remain in a sitting position, and will not move from that spot for the whole day.

Another thing I noticed is that she is now grooming herself. Very very rare but progress from not doing it at all the past two days.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Another thing I noticed is that she is now grooming herself. Very very rare but progress from not doing it at all the past two days.
That's definitely a good sign. :thumbsup: If you don't mind a suggestion you may want to reconsider sending her to another person's home the next time you go on holiday. Because cats are so territorial and more comfortable in their own surroundings we always leave our cat(s) at home and have a family member or trusted person come to take care of them. If you are planning another trip down the road you may want to look into a reliable pet sitter, relative or friend to come to your house so that when the time comes you don't go through this situation again. I'm glad to hear she's starting to come out of her shell and hope it continues.:crossfingers:

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's definitely a good sign. :thumbsup: If you don't mind a suggestion you may want to reconsider sending her to another person's home the next time you go on holiday. Because cats are so territorial and more comfortable in their own surroundings we always leave our cat(s) at home and have a family member or trusted person come to take care of them. If you are planning another trip down the road you may want to look into a reliable pet sitter, relative or friend to come to your house so that when the time comes you don't go through this situation again. I'm glad to hear she's starting to come out of her shell and hope it continues.:crossfingers:

I welcome all suggestions :) I am a complete newbie and this was my first vacation away from her. I've only had my cat for 4 months and I have so much to learn and I am so thankful for this forum.

That is a very good point. Since me and my friends are teachers, we also go on holiday at the same time as I do, and I have noone else to look after her whilst I am gone. I will definitely consider this though because I might be away for a week in March again and it might be too much movement for her if I leave her at the same cat sitter place for a week, then bring her back again. There were pet boarding options but I thought it was absolute nonsense as they just leave the pet in a cage, whereas the sitter had a big home and other cats as well.

Andezzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep us posted - I am so hoping to hear continued progress. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:
Thank you so much for your support! It definitely gives me a bit of hope and persistence to be patient and take time to understand my cat.

She now has a comfortable spot in the bathroom where she sits on a towel she started kneading on. She didn't like the warm blanket and hid when she saw it 🤷‍♀️ At least she has some warmth and I placed her food bowl nearby and she devours her wet food (again when I am not there) and has used the litterbox properly.

Only thing is that she is barely moving and sits in the same spot for the entire day. She will accept some petting and purrs loudly when I do so, and I make sure to check she is okay throughout the day . Her tail is wrapped around her body and crouches down at times which I think means she is frightened of me? but I am still giving her all the petting that she maybe secretly wants??