Is my cat pregnant?

Shaikham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
I have adopted a cat 2 weeks ago and since last week I’ve been wondering whether she’s pregnant or not

when i got her she was malnourished so she is eating with a passion since she came home

so now I don’t know if that’s just a food belly or if she’s actually pregnant

this is a picture of her belly what do you think
IMG_2921.jpeg
IMG_2857.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. My guess is she is preg.
Had you noticed any change in the color of the nipples? IF you noticed, we can pinpoint quite exactly how long ago she mated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shaikham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agree. My guess is she is preg.
Had you noticed any change in the color of the nipples? IF you noticed, we can pinpoint quite exactly how long ago she mated.
Thank you for your reply!
About a week ago? But to be honest I’ve never had a female cat so I’m not quite sure!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The change of color happens quite exactly on day 21... Thus she is now about day 28... Ie, the pregnancy isnt very advanced.

So, the question arises: DO you wishes to have kittens?

If not, its still fully possible to make a spay - abort... IF so, make the spaying appointment as quickly as you can arrange it, because now the surgery isnt difficult, but as time goes by, it will be more complicated, and of course, ethically more problematic..

An experienced vet surgeon is able to make the spay abortion quite late, but its of course not pleasant for anyone.

If you wish to have kittens, begin to plan for them...

Whichever decision you take, we will support you and give you our advices as well we can...

Ps. She is a point; the point genes are recessive... So the kittens prob will NOT be pointed.
Unless daddy is too a carrier of the point gene. Point himself or non pointed carrier.

Ps2. And if you and we have wrong and she isnt not preg? Also here a spaying is desirable.

Shaikham Shaikham

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The change of color happens quite exactly on day 21... This she is now about day 28... Ie, the pregnancy isnt very advanced.

If not, its still fully possible to make a spay - abort... IF so, make the spaying appointment as quickly as you can arrange it, because now the surgery isnt difficult, but as time goes by, it will be more complicated, and of course, ethically more problematic..

An experienced vet surgeon is able to make the spay abortion quite late, but its of course not pleasant for anyone.

Whichever decision you take, we will support you and give you our advices as well we can...

Ps. She is a point; the point genes are recessive... So the kittens prob will NOT be pointed.
Unless daddy is too a carrier of the point gene. Point himself or non point carrier.

Ps2. And if you have wrong and she isnt not preg? Also here a spaying is desirable.

Shaikham Shaikham
In addotion to the points made here she look incredably thin otherwise. A pregnancy is bound to have complications in a cat this thin.

Heck pregnancy is hard enough on a healthy animal, she looks underweight to me.

Shaikham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The change of color happens quite exactly on day 21... This she is now about day 28... Ie, the pregnancy isnt very advanced.

Unless daddy is too a carrier of the point gene. Point himself or non point carrier.

Ps2. And if you have wrong and she isnt not preg? Also here a spaying is desirable.

Shaikham Shaikham
Appreciate your thorough response

to be honest i am not a big fan of the idea of kittens as i was planning to spay her 2-4 weeks after i adopted her (as my male cat is neutered) however I’m having mixed feeling about proceeding with it while she is pregnant 😕

i am not sure of the male breed or color
Hopefully she doesn’t have a big litter and will find good homes for them!
Thank you

Shaikham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In addotion to the points made here she look incredably thin otherwise. A pregnancy is bound to have complications in a cat this thin.

Heck pregnancy is hard enough on a healthy animal, she looks underweight to me.
sadly she is, i got her in very bad condition, she is actually heavier in these pictures (3.2kg) she was 2.6 when i got her.. it’s heartbreaking

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
A small cat may not even be able to bring a litter to full term and even if she did chances are high for something to go wrong during birth. It could even cost her her life in certain cases.

I would have her spayed and tell the vet not to tell you if she is prenat or not if it is upsetting to know.

There are so many sad looking cats and kittens languishing in cages at the shelter or waiting to be put out of their misory.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
however I’m having mixed feeling about proceeding with it while she is pregnant 😕

i am not sure of the male breed or color
Hopefully she doesn’t have a big litter and will find good homes for them!
Thank you
Honestly with her size, even if she had just one kitten, it could be way too much for her to be able to deliver.. I'm not trying to scare you at all I just worry for her because she is so tiny.

Spay/abort procedure especially on a pregnancy that could potentially be high risk would be my personal choice. I wouldn't like to do that but I would be keeping the momma cats health in the forefront of my mind.
There is such an over population of cats, kittens and adults. Say she has 4 kittens you would have to make sure you have the funds to well for one if she has problems during delivery to take her to a vet for a possible c section. If it is after hours you will have to find an emergency animal hospital. Then their shots and deworming. It is possible that momma won't have sufficient amount of milk so you need to keep in mind and get in advance kitten milk replacement along with syringes.
Once they are old enough you would need to spay/neuter them. I would do this before they go to their new homes.
Then making sure they go to a good home. It is a lot and can be very expensive but it is possible.

If you do not want to put your kitty through a potential hard labor and delivery then spaying her asap would be ideal.
Like Sarthur2 Sarthur2 had mentioned spay/termination isn't much different from a regular spay. I would get her into see a vet because of her size and see what they says.

Whatever you decide we are here for you and would like updates on your beautiful girl.