Is my cat pregnant?

aklizzy46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Someone dumped this sweet girl and we just took her in yesterday evening. I noticed her nipples look like they are large but her belly doesn’t appear to look pregnant. I called my vet but they can’t get us in for another 2 weeks. I have never had a cat this old not fixed. We also have no idea how old she is. I also added some pics to get an idea of how old she is. She’s small and young but I don’t have any idea how old. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be so yes. A question arises: Do you wish the kittens? If yes, its just to wait and see.
If not, you can spay her NOW. Its not more difficult now than othewise, and much easier compared when she is in heat... And ethically much easier than when they are high preg...

However you decide, we will support you, and be happy for further reports!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
An unspayed stray this time of year is likely pregnant. Nipples pink up around day 21. The belly begins to show around the 5th week. Pregnancy runs about 63-68 days.

She looks young and a very pretty calico! Thanks for taking her in!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure there aren't any kittens around outside hidden somewhere. Bless you, for taking her in.....Yes, NOW is the time to spay her, before she does get bigger. she is most likely pregnant, cats outside usually are. I've had several spayed while pregnant, they charge a little more because the vessels are engorged. Make sure the vet knows she may be. I had one little female give birth three times in one summer and was pregnant again before I finally caught her. 17 kittens in one summer! She was exhausted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aklizzy46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An unspayed stray this time of year is likely pregnant. Nipples pink up around day 21. The belly begins to show around the 5th week. Pregnancy runs about 63-68 days.

She looks young and a very pretty calico! Thanks for taking her in!
I am not sure she’s not spayed but from the age and such I doubt she is.

aklizzy46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have made some phone calls and our vet can’t get a spay in before June which would put her right around term or after they would be due. The humane society here and both each an hour away can’t either. If she is pregnant we will probably let her have the babies and our humane society has a adoption program where if we surrender them they will spay mama for free and make sure the babies are spayed/neutered as well. Right now she is locked in our bedroom and will stay locked in the house until she is fixed. This is why I have never adopted a animal not fixed but as least I can make sure all these babies get fixed also. She is such a sweet kitty and my husband and kids have already fallen in love with her. I will do a little more research to see if there are any other spay clinics around our area that I missed as well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Who knows — you may decide to keep mom and her favorite kitten! Regardless, you are doing a wonderful thing for her and her future kittens! :catlove:

aklizzy46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Who knows — you may decide to keep mom and her favorite kitten! Regardless, you are doing a wonderful thing for her and her future kittens! :catlove:
Thanks! I guess we will see if she keeps growing. I feel bad for letting her have kittens even though I didn’t abandon her not fixed. There are too many kittens in the world already but I figure the least I can do is make sure they are fixed and not on the streets. We have a vet appointment scheduled for the 23rd but just it’s just the initial appointment.