Is my cat pregnant?

chelglad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I let my cat out in February for a couple days & she was in heat, i’ve never had an unspayed cat before so I didn’t know she would get pregnant honestly. I live behind a highway so there’s not many cats in the area, i’ve never seen one in the area anyway. I’ve noticed her weight gain with a hard tight stomach, her nipples were noticeable when I picked her up. I have seen some weird movement in her stomach, & she is breathing kinda strange these past couple weeks. I don’t wanna pay the vet for an ultrasound because it can be expensive but I don’t know if she’s actually pregnant. The timeline for her the days I left her out she should’ve had kittens already, I haven’t noticed any signs of labor or birthing soon. She just turned 1 in march & she has never been pregnant before, she started her heat cycles fall of 2022 & i have not noticed them since I left her outside. The pictures are of her from april 5-10. I’ve also attached pictures of her in october of 2022 & january of this year from the top view. What do you think? I just had her tested a couple months ago fecal for worms & urine, they both had nothing in them.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chelglad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
one baby, im not sure how they are supposed to react. she’s not really paying much attention to it, i don’t know if there will be more

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has the kitten nursed yet? Have you weighed the kitten yet?

Be prepared with tiny syringes (1-2mL sized) and powdered kitten formula if supplementing is needed.

Does mom seem in labor still? There can be hours between kittens.

chelglad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has the kitten nursed yet? Have you weighed the kitten yet?

Be prepared with tiny syringes (1-2mL sized) and powdered kitten formula if supplementing is needed.

Does mom seem in labor still? There can be hours between kittens.
i have not weighed the kitten, should i just use a normal scale? & the kitten latched but i’m not sure if she has milk or not, the nipples are covered by hair she has long hair & they’re skin tone colored not red. I can get formula if needed. i can’t tell if she’s in labor or not still, it seems she had her kitten maybe hours ago

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use a kitchen scale to weigh the kitten in grams. It should gain a minimum of 6-10 grams daily.

See that mom lies down for nursing every 1-2 hours. She may have more kittens to deliver based on her photo. Are her sides still big? Check around to make sure she hasn’t left other kittens in odd places.

Go ahead and buy a can of powdered kitten formula, and ask a pharmacy for 1 or 2mL needle-less syringes for feeding.

Post the kitten’s weight and keep us updated.

chelglad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she’s currently resting & nursing, i only checked one nipple which the kitten had not used but is using the other ones which are bright pink/red. the kittens weight is 3.4 oz

Attachments